Chapter 53

DISCLAIMER: I do not own Harry Potter.

.

Chapter 53:

December 25, 1995

(one day ago)

I wish we could stay like this forever, Hermione thought as she was looking at the wizard still asleep beside her; her wizard. Severus looked so peaceful in his sleep, almost free of wrinkles, and he was smiling.

Hermione wondered how would Severus feel right now, at this moment, if the other Hermione hadn't sent Leo back in time to keep him safe, to warn them, and save them all. What if Mr Weasley - Arthur, she corrected herself - had been attacked by Nagini? Severus would feel restless, for sure, not caring for Christmas festivities. He might show up briefly at the Puckle residence in Cokeworth like he always did in the past years, but perhaps, he would still feel lonely.

And Harry. He would never be able to enjoy his first Christmas with his godfather and Remus even if he cared about them very much. Life would be harder for him.

Albus. He would still be leaving the castle from time to time, searching for Horcruxes. By summer next year, he would be cursed and Severus would have to kill him in 1997. Sev's soul would be tainted, no matter how good the intention was.

Hermione sighed deeply and shifted in the bed to rest her head on Sev's bare chest and hugging him tightly and eventually, waking him. Sev shifted and pulled her closer to him, too and kissed her hair.

"I love you," she whispered against his chest.

"I love you more and I love you most," he whispered back.

.

"Mummy! It's Christmas!"

Hermione was greeted by her son's beaming face once he opened the door to his room in Sev's quarters when she knocked.

Leo wrapped his tiny arms around her waist and Hermione ran her fingers on his curls. "Merry Christmas, sweetheart."

Leo looked up. "You stayed in Dada's room the whole night?" he asked. "Like you promised? You didn't go up to the Gryffindor Tower?"

Hermione chuckled. "Yes, I stayed in Dada's room the whole night. I never left Dada's private rooms."

Leo smiled even more. "I like it when you're here, Mummy."

"Me, too. I love being around you and your dad," she told him honestly. "But today, we're going home and celebrating Christmas with your grandparents, Aunt Mona, and Uncle Chad."

Leo nodded happily. "I'm excited, Mummy!"

"Me too," she chuckled and took his hand. "Come on, let's join your dad for breakfast, he's waiting."

.

December 26, 1995

(the present)

"Auntie Ginny!" Leo squealed and ran towards Ginny as soon as he got out of the fireplace.

Ginny was waiting for them by the fireplace in the dining room of Grimmauld Place with Bill, Arthur, and Molly. It was already ten o'clock and the house was quiet.

"How's my favourite wizard?" Ginny hugged Leo and sat on one of the chairs with Leo in her lap. Hermione smiled at the scene.

"But Aunt Ginny, James is your favourite wizard..." chuckled Leo.

"Maybe in the future, I will have many favourites. But for now, you are the only one," replied Ginny.

"Just like Nana Molly. All of us were her favourites."