Chapter 27

DISCLAIMER: I do not own Harry Potter.

.

Chapter 27:

January 9, 1976

(nineteen years ago)

"Why the hell do I need to add three blobs of Flobberworm Mucus? The book says two."

"Regulus, language!" Hermione said sharply, her hands on her hips. "It's a discovery of Severus and it worked! We've got full marks."

"Black," warned Severus who was sitting on the sofa with a book in his lap.

"All right," Regulus replied and followed her instructions. They were brewing Sleeping Draught. Once again, Regulus's cauldron exploded during his Potions class and luckily, Professor Slughorn was sick since December (two days before the supposed Slug Club party) and the headmaster couldn't find someone to take over the class. The Potions Master will be back on Monday. Regulus had a lot of time to study and brew several potions with Hermione.

"Now, add two measures of Standard Ingredient," she instructed. "And heat for thirty seconds."

She continued giving instructions to Regulus and he obliged without another word, knowing that Severus would send him out if he cursed again.

"Be careful when you stir, Reggie," she reminded before sitting down next to Severus. He instantly wrapped an arm around her waist, but she did not lean into him because Reg was in the room. Instead, she just rested a hand on his knee and picked up a book.

"I got a letter from Grandma today," he told her conversationally.

"Of course, you did. It's your birthday," she teased and met his eyes.

"She mentioned again that she likes you for me." There was affection in his voice and eyes.

She blushed at that, remembering the image of Lady Prince who looked like a Muggle Royal family member the way she dressed and acted upon their first meeting. But there was warmth in her eyes when she saw Severus for the very first time. She spoke and looked at him like any dotting grandmother - like Hermione's dear grandma.

Lady Prince also treated Hermione with sincere kindness, and she even asked her to call her 'Grandma'. She did, but in her mind, she was still 'Lady Prince'. The old witch thanked her for being there for Sev through the years. Before their lunch meeting ended, Lady Prince invited them to her family home in Cornwall. Severus politely told her that he had already promised the Puckles that he would be staying with them. Hermione knew that her family would be upset if Sev wouldn't join them for the Christmas holidays, but they'd be happy to know that he reconnected with his grandmother. She also knew that Sev wasn't comfortable yet around Lady Prince, that was why he preferred to stay at the Puckles.

And so during the holidays, Mrs. Snape and Sev left Tobias Snape alone. Severus's mother returned to her childhood home to catch up with her mother while Sev happily settled at the Puckles. Christmas was merrier because Mona's boyfriend, Richard, was invited as well and stayed for two days.

"Hermione? Are you even listening?"

Hermione felt a nudge to her side. She drifted from her musings and looked up to her boyfriend. "Sorry?"

Sev gave her a disapproving look.

"Sorry, I was thinking of your grandma," she apologized and Sev's expression softened.

"She's inviting us for the Easter holidays."

She raised an eyebrow. For four years, they always stayed behind for the Easter break to do homework, experiments, and study some more.