Chapter 18

Disclaimer: I do not own Harry Potter.

.

Chapter 18:

September 1, 1973

(twenty-two years ago)

For the first time since they started Hogwarts, Hermione and Severus shared a compartment with Alice Fawley and Frank Longbottom. Severus could tolerate her friends. Alice was a very nice person and easy to be liked. Frank Longbottom was studious and clever, just like Severus, and he disapproved of Potter and his gang's bullying, despite sharing a dormitory with them.

And it was amazing that students from four different houses were sharing a compartment because they were friends.

For most of the journey, she and Sev just read contentedly. Sev's hand smoothed her hair from time to time and she rested her head against his shoulder. Alice and Frank played Exploding Snap.

"Hermione, can you go with me to the loo?" asked Alice softly.

Hermione nodded. "Sure." Severus let go of her.

When the two girls reached the loo, Alice turned to her with a nervous look in her face.

"Frank asked me last week if we could go to Hogsmeade together... throughout the year. You know, just the two of us."

Hermione's eyes widened and she grinned. "Wow! So, what did you say?"

Alice blushed. "You know that I really like him, right? He's my close friend... and we've known each other since we were seven. So, I said yes."

Hermione squealed and pulled her friend to a hug. "I am so happy for you, Alice!"

"Thanks, Mione," she laughed. "What about you and Sev? Did he ask you out?"

Hermione's smile faltered. "We're just friends... And he warned me not to make plans for the two of us without consulting him. I guess he's planning on asking out someone else."

To her surprise, Alice rolled her eyes. "You're a Ravenclaw, Hermione and you're the brightest witch in our year. But sometimes you're daft."

"Hey!" she slapped her friend's arm rather playfully.

"Hermione 'whatever your middle name is' Puckle, can't you see? He likes you! He cares a lot about you and I bet you're the most important person in the world to him!"

"But we're best friends."

"Yes. Isn't it nice to fall in love with your best friend? Hermione, read between the lines, will you?"

She shook her head. "I don't want to get my hopes up. He hasn't said anything, so..."

Alice sighed. "Well, I hope Sev asks you out already."

.

September 15, 1973

(twenty-two years ago)