Chapter 22 MAE DAY

I woke to Suri's cries and sick rising in my throat.

"Here's a bowl," Carla's voice whispered as she put it in front of me.

I was sick as a pig and dry heaving like a cat with a fur ball until my body shook violently to ensure I had every last drop out and that included the stomach acid. I hated being sick... hated it!

"Where's Suri?" I asked breathless and exhausted as Carla took the bowl and I lay my spinning head back down.

"She is in her room," she replied with a disapproving tone. "Give yourself a minute to rest."

"Can you fetch her for me?" I asked.

She looked reluctant but left with the bowl and, I hoped, to fetch Suri as I could hear her crying and it was heartbreaking. A few minutes later she was still crying and I figured Carla had gone to empty the bowl or got caught up with her kids and the twins. I dragged myself up unable to listen to Suri anymore and my calling her name to tell her to come to me had not been answered. I decided to go fetch her. I staggered like a drunk woman down the hall following the sound of crying. I tried the door, it was locked.

"Suri?" I called. She stopped crying for a minute. "Baby, are you in there?" I asked.

"Yeah," she whimpered.

I tried the door.

"They locked it," she cried from the other side.

"What the hell?" I said feeling enraged. Locking my baby in a room! "I'll get you out just wait there," I said looking for a key but it was gone.

I stormed into the adjoining room and opened the double doors onto the balcony. "Suri," I called. Her face appeared seconds later at the window. "Are they open?" I asked and she tried her doors. To my relief and hers they were. "Come here," I said as she rushed over and I lifted her over the balcony wall to mine. She clung onto me like a baby chimp as I felt faint. I took a few deep breaths and half staggered back to my room with her.

"She won't be happy," Carla said appearing and seeing Suri in bed with me having snuggles as I tried to calm her down.

"Who won't?" I asked.

"Her grandmother," she replied.

"Well she can fuck off, Suri is my daughter. She gave her up and if she has issues with that she can take it up with me," I replied. Suri became very still as she listened and I knew she was scared. I would not keep her like this. "Whilst I appreciate Uncle's offer I believe we have outstayed our welcome so I'll pack the car up and take the children home."

"Back to your old house?" Carla asked.

"Yes, Stephanie won't come near me now and I object to my child being locked in a room and left to cry," I replied.

"I don't think you are fit to drive at the moment," she replied.

"Not at the moment but as soon as I have had something to eat, I will feel better and we will leave," I said rubbing Suri soothing with a promise. "Where are the twins? I need to get them ready."

"Down stairs, I'll bring them up," she offered and left.

I lay cuddling Suri who had calmed down but still had a few shuddering breath moments which upset her.

"Don't worry we are going home," I promised.

"I see you are awake," Lee's mother said disapprovingly as she appeared in the doorway. Suri started to cry again and ducked under the blanket to hide.

"I see you punished my daughter," I countered.

"She has broken rules," she replied.

"Then I will be told and I will deal with her as her mother. A title you gave me, when you forced your son to give her up," I sniped.