Chapter 7 - MAE DAY

I had been a mother for three months and felt like a zombie. I was going from home to the hospital to see the babies and taking Suri with me as she was not in school yet and was very clingy. I couldn't even go for a wee on my own. If I had a bath or shower it was with the bedroom door open and her watching TV in my bed. I would panic several times throughout the shower and turn it off convinced I had heard her cry and lean my head out of the shower to see her lying in bed watching tv or colouring.

The babies were out of the woods now, yes it was a miracle but they were growing and although still tiny they would be coming home today. I was a nervous wreck. All their medicines were written on a white board I put up in their nursery, I had been to collect their special baby milk and nappies... the list was endless.

"Come on then, lets go get our babies," I said to Suri who was dressed in a new pink outfit she had chosen whilst out shopping. White leggings with butterflies stitches in them, a pink three quarter dress top to match, a white cardigan with some princess wings on her back. Her shoes were glittery and had lights in them when she walked or just stamped to see the light up at every reflective surface we passed. I had made her hair into ringlets like she wanted and a tiara on her head to match her lip gloss and blusher. All from her princess make up set.

The baby seats were on the back of the car, Suri's was in the middle and she happily carried in one of the seats ready to put a baby in it.

"I'll carry Willow," she said.

"The nurses have to carry the babies out, you can hold her when we get home," I reminded her.

"I am going to read them a story," she replied and smiled when I nodded.

We entered the baby ward. "Look at you!" Suri's favourite nurse said. She run to her for a kiss and cuddle. Pam had been a godsend in the past few months with the babies and Suri. She would amuse her for a while, take her for a drink on her break and would sit next to her whilst she held a baby for a minute. That was her favourite thing to do. She loved the babies more than the nurses.

"The babies are coming home," Suri squealed with excitement.

"They are all ready," the nurse said taking us through to them. "You just need to wrap them up warm and we can carry them out for you."

The next few minutes was Suri dressing Willow in an outfit she chose... in other words a real life doll and I dressed Bay. He was still too small for premature baby clothes so I had to roll the arms and legs up on things but he was a cute as a button and alert.

"Look!" Suri called excited as Willow was held up wearing a pink frilly dressed which was too big for her but again very cute.

I laughed and took a picture, then a picture with Suri, one with the nurses all holding the babies and the doctors who came to say goodbye and give them one last cuddle. I wished all the other parents good luck and they wished me luck in return. We didn't want the babies coming back. It may happen but I didn't want it to.

I buckled them into their baby seats, ensured their head huggers had them secure and we were away. My heart racing with nerves but also keen to get the hell out of here. Life starts today, I thought.

A month ago we moved house as Suri just wasn't settling in the other so one day I decided that we would go shopping. House shopping! Lee had put a fortune in the bank account to support her and I needed to give her the best chance in life so a home she liked without the memories of being 'cut off' was the way forward.

We looked at 12 houses in total and she liked 4. We got it down to two and finally this one. It was less extravagant than the one we left but it felt homely and less clinical... yes that was it, the other place felt clinical. I wanted a fresh start when the babies came home and this was it.