Chapter 3 - MAE DAY

When we arrived back upstairs I was surprised to see the babies having a cuddle with their grandparents. Surprised but delighted.

"Lee come hold your nephew," his father said as he looked up.

Lee went over and sat down ready to hold him. The pass over was smooth and Bay seemed content to be cuddled. I was also rewarded with a cuddle from Willow. She was brightening up, she looked healthier, it seemed strange to think that given we had already been told they were 'sorry' so I didn't dare let myself get my hopes up... but the minute I pressed my lips gently to her tiny head and she let out of low whimper, my hope was on mount Olympus.

Lee bent over from his chair beside me, squeezed between the two incubators, and kissed her head too. She whimpered again, making him giggle and his mother cry. I held Willow on my chest next to Bay on Lee's. We could fuss them both then. Bay was asleep the whole time and I missed the way he would look at me with the 'who are you look'.

His parents left the room which mean Lee and I were alone with the babies.

"Do they look better to you?" I asked.

He gave me a quizzical look, "What makes you say that?" he asked.

"They just seem... I don't know, more lively. Their colour has improved and ok they are still tiny babies, covered in wires and sticky plasters but underneath it all they seem... better somehow."

He just smiled and I knew that meant yes. I sighed and let my head fall to his shoulder as we cuddled the babies, his head laid against mine and both babies seemed content. They were loving this four way cuddle.

"Well isn't this cosy," I heard and opened my eyes, I must have dozed off momentarily. How long had we been allowed to cuddle the babies? I looked to my chest, no the babies were gone and I was on the sofa.

"Shhh," I heard Lee whisper.

"Shhh, you are lying with another woman!" Stephanie half yelled.

I sat up half asleep and turned to see Lee, I had been lying on the sofa with him... ok she has reason to be pissed but not in this room. Before I had time to say anything his mother was on her and dragging her out of the room.

"It's ok Mae, lie back down," his father whispered reaching over from a chair at the side and feeling my forehead. I kept blinking to try to keep my eyes open but it didn't work, I was shattered. I decided to lie my head the opposite side to Lee.

I heard him sigh and get up to go see to his fiancée and mother. I was too tired to give a shit. I felt his father tuck a blanket around me and give my hair a stroke before I was back in the land of nod.

"Mae," the nurse called. "Here we go sweetheart," she said putting a cup of tea on the side for me.

It must have been the wee small hours of the morning, the ward was silence except for the beeping of the machine.

"Nappy time," the nurse said. My heart raced, she had told me once that if the twins were getting better I could change their nappies.

I sat up, I was alone... I looked around for Lee. "He's asleep in the waiting room," she whispered.

I felt relieved. "Where are his parents?" I asked.

"Hotel but will be back in a few hours," she said. "You do know that sofa pulls out into a bed," she added.

"No," I replied shaking my head.

"One minute," she said and went outside to the other nurse. Returning, "Ok, drink your tea and eat that toast," she said pointing to the table. I gave her a smile as they pulled out the bed and started making it for me with blankets from a cupboard at the side. A bed, a real bed!

Lee appeared in the door way looking dog tired and scratching his head. He was in jogging bottoms and a tshirt. "What's going on?" he asked.

"A bed!" I whispered excited.

"You do realise I am getting in that with you," he said trying to stretch his back.

I shrugged. I didn't care who got in it with me. I was getting in it.

Lee reached over to steal my tea from my hand and drink some, passing it back and stealing some toast as he walked the nurses and tried to stay awake. I drank some more tea and passed it him back whilst I ate some toast.

He looked so sweet all puffy eyed, bed hair and casual clothing. His stubble chin and sexy frown... shit, stop that, I told myself.

"Right you two, babies nappies and bed," the nurse said.

"Nappies," Lee was suddenly very awake.

"Too late to run," the nurse said taking the cup of tea off him and leading him over to the sink for a wash up before changing Bay.

The other nurse took me to Willow. It was quick and easy, she had no bum and girl parts to speak off bless her but the nappy was left loose. I was done and feeling proud. Lee was still frowning and washing his hand by the time I finished.

"It was only a tiny poo," the nurse was saying, "that is a healthy sign," but he glared at her.

"Haha, Willow did a wee," I said as I joined him at the sink.

He was not amused and even glared back at Bay like he did it on purpose. I was still laughing by the time I climbed into bed and lay right across it. Lee came back in the room with his things.

"Move over," he said still in a huff.

"It was only a tiny poo," I said mimicking the nurse.

"Move," he said trying not to laugh.

"I was keeping it warm for you," I teased and scooted over the other side of the bed.

"They said the babies are doing better," he said as he climbed in.

"I know," I replied beaming a smile.

He smiled and lay down waiting for me to turn out the light.

"Goodnight," I said reaching over. When I lay back down it was bliss, the pillow, the sheets and blankets, being able to stretch out in bed.

"Fidget," he complained.

"Sorry I am bum wiggler for the first few minutes I get in," I informed him.

"Give me that bum over here, I am too tired to put up with however many circuits of the bed it wants to do," he said grabbing me into spooning.

"Lovely," I said with a contented sigh which made him laugh against my ear gently.

We slipped into silence and then into sleep.

I woke a few hours later to pull the blankets up tighter, his parents at the foot of the bed.

"Shh," his mum said and straightened out the blankets. For a moment I thought about staying awake but it was not to be, as I was back to sleep in no time.