Chapter 26 MAE DAY

I entered a huge marquee full of people, who all turned and stared. They seemed very nosey and shocked as they made gasping noises and some even cried at the sight of me. What was wrong with them? Oh that's right I am the bride.

Brides smile.

I forced a smile and followed the little girl. She walked towards a man. He was handsome in his morning suit. I tried to remember where I knew him from... his name was on the tip of my tongue.. Oh he is the groom, that was his name groom. I felt relief at getting that out of my head, nothing worse than not knowing someones name when you are getting married to them.

He looked so sad as he watched me walk towards him. Maybe he didn't like the dress. He put out his hand and I placed mine on top, he looked concerned as we turned to man in front of us. Grooms are often nervous I thought as we knelt in front of the man to begin the wedding.

A splash of water caught my eye a few minutes later, he was leaking... the groom was leaking bits of water falling from his face as he hung his head in prayer.

"Groom, you're leaking," I whispered. "Do you need help?"

He shook his head.

"Shh," the man talking whispered.

The service continued, I repeated the words and so did... what was his name again?

We held hands as the rope tied them together and repeated more words. The man with his hand tied to mine was told to kiss me. There was the briefest moment of contact between our lips and it was done.

People cheered. The little girl was the nosiest. We had to sign some things whilst people left and went outside to wait on us. Sign here, here, here and here. Done.

Take his arm and leave.

I linked his arm and walked back out the way we had came. People threw colourful bits in the air that fell like rain over us as they cheered. They shook our hands, kissed our cheeks and offered congratulations.

"Time for a bathroom break, Mae," Carla said appearing. "Come on."

She led me back up to my room.

"What the hell is wrong with her?" I heard a man yelled as I used the bathroom.

"Your wife spelled her when Uncle had already helped her," Carla replied. "And I suspect that a certain little witch has been interfering as well."

"Bloody hell. What are they all playing at? Mae Day is an appropriate name everyone wants a piece of her. She is the mast and they are all pulling a ribbon and dancing around," he moaned as I walked back out. "Go make some sort of excuse like morning sickness whilst I sort her out. Lee is in bits down there," he said.