Chapter 73 - Mae Day

"Let's eat." Uncle led us to a round table. I noted Carla, Bowdie, Rema were all seated. I dare not look to the table opposite as I could already feel Lee's presence and knew that was the Grayson table. I should be grateful I was not being forced to sit there.

I had not been seated long when I turned my head with the feeling I was being looked at. It was an automatic reaction to look as I tried to dampen down all the emotions in the room. I wasn't prepared to see the sad eyes of Suri popping out over her fathers shoulder. She quickly ducked out of sight and I knew she was worried I was angry with her for being here when I had refused to see her. I had refused as this test wasn't complete and I wanted to be 100% certain I wasn't a threat to her. Now I wanted to run over and steal her away for myself. I had missed her so much my body was burning like a lit match trying to stay in the chair and not fight Lee for her.

Oh my god what if she saw the troll screening I projected. No her grandparents wouldn't allow that.

"There goes the make up," Carla said as I turned back around to the table. "Here," she said passing me a tissue for the tears I hadn't realised were falling. Though Uncles spell was working to some degree nothing could stop these tears. Everyone politely ignored them but the background music did little to drown out the sound of Suri crying.

A minute or so later the table grew tense and I knew who was approaching. I looking into my lap and twiddled with my napkin.

"Good evening everyone and congratulations Mae," Lee said polite as always. "Suri has drawn you a picture."

I turned expecting to see only him but Suri was hiding behind his legs and popped her head out just enough to see me. She quickly passed me a sheet of paper. I took it and leant my head to the side to try to see her better but she hid further behind her fathers legs with only her hand snaking around his thigh visable.

I looked at the page. It was a drawing of flower with a smile on its face. I had once told her how my sister and I loved to draw them when we were little as they always made us smile even when were we very sad or poorly.

"It's beautiful," I said smiling at the picture. "You used your favourite crayons," I noted as she had some she save for 'best' when she thought a picture she drew was perfect.

She poked her head out again enough to see me. Smiling in appreciation of my noticing her favourite crayons were used. God I loved that kid. Just look at that smile.

"Thank you, it's made me very happy," I managed to choke out as I tried not to cry again. I wasn't just contending with my emotions, several people in the room were choked up by the reunion.

"Ok say goodbye now," Lee said to her. I still didn't look at up at him. Her tiny hand waved from behind his leg and he rushed her off as the food arrived at the table.

Everyone started to chat as I twiddled with my drinks napkin. I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing, just fiddling as time slipping away from me and I felt the pressure growing.

"Eat," Uncle said pointing to my starter.

"Is that for Suri?" Bowdie asked as I reached for my drink, my throat dry with nerves.

I looked at my hand again and there is was 'a flower' made out of the napkin. Another thing my sister and I used to do.

"I'll give it to her for you," he offered.

I kissed one petal leaving a lipstick print and brushed it against my neck where the perfume was before passing it over. He smiled and took it to her. I didn't look but heard her surprised little giggle and cute as ever voice saying 'look daddy, it's got a kiss on for me. Mmmm its smell of heaven look'. It started my tears again. Uncle passed me his tissue and Bowdie returned to put his arm around me and tell me not to worry and try to eat. No chance so he ate my starter.