Chapter 1 - MAE DAY

"Sorry to disturb you," the nurse said as she came into the small room they had set aside for me and the babies. It was the room they left free for parents who children were beyond help and it gave you time to spend with your children before they passed away. These were not my children, they were my little sisters. Her and her husband were being buried yesterday and I missed the funeral as I was here with the babies. Twins, a boy and a girl. Both tiny, both beautiful, both fragile, both with their own problems, both in pain and both dying. The doctors were 'sorry' which is what they say when it means 'they are going to die'. The looks from parents were pitiful, heartbroken and terrified it would happen to their babies as they stood guard at their own childs incubator. I was living their nightmare and had an audience every minute. The room was a sanctuary, I was getting alone time with them and though every minute had me terrified it would be their last I stood there between each incubator and prayed for a miracle. I prayed my sister made it to heaven, if there was one and if she did I didn't know if she would be able to help up there or was calling her babies to her.

"Is it ok?" the nurse asked shaking me from my daydream again, it was the only sleep I was getting since the accident that had took my sisters life.

"For him to join you?" the nurse asked again.

I shook my head and blinked my eyes a few times trying to gain focus. "Sorry I wasn't listening, erm... can you repeat that?" I asked my voice croaking and dry.

The nurse gave me that sympathetic smile which always made me cry so I quickly looked away and took a few deep breaths as she repeated herself, 'I said the babies uncle is here to see the children, is that ok?" she asked.

I was shocked as I had never met him, I had heard of him every now and then from my sister. I was ill for my sisters wedding, in hospital so I never got to meet the 'best man'. My sister had been on her way to see me when the accident happened. She was excited to show me the wedding pictures and her ring as she said the sun hit it so bright it sent E.T. a message. She was so happy to finally be accepted into her husbands family. He was wealthy, engaged to be married when she met him on a project through University. She loved archaeology and said digging up corpses with him was the best days of her life. I laughed at the memory and nodded to the nurse to let the brother in. They had fell in love and he had problems in calling off the marriage to his then fiancée. He had stood up at a family party and declared his love for my sister in front of his fiancée and her parents saying he couldn't go ahead with the wedding. His parents were outraged as it was a friend of his fathers who was being 'insulted' by his sons 'refusal' to marry his daughter and 'betrayal' by sleeping with my sister. He was forbidden from seeing her and pulled off the project. My sister dropped out of University when she found out she was pregnant. Eventually they found a way to talk and snuck off to meet each other. She told him she was pregnant and he was over the moon. They eloped but eventually his family caught up with him and the last I heard was that everything was fine and she was having a second wedding on the grounds of his parents house. I became ill and had an operation so missed it but she said it was wonderful. She cried as she described it to me. I put my face in my hands and tried to blow out a few deep breaths to stop the tears that followed but a few feel before I regained control.

"Just through here," the nurse said opening the door gently and showing a man through.

I looked up from my hands to see a man stood in front of me. Dark hair, black suit, white shirt and thin black tie. I tried to remember what my sister had said his name was, he was older than her husband but I didn't know by how much. Mid twenties to thirty at a push I reckon.

"Hello Mae, my name is Grayson, Lee Grayson," he said holding out his hand. I raised mine to shake his politely. "I am sorry for your loss," he added as soon as my flesh met his and his words set me off crying again. He wrapped his arms around me as I broke my heart in a strangers embrace. I bet his suit was from the funeral, this along with his words confirmed was sister was dead... and I was heartbroken.