Chapter 13 - MAE DAY

Suri never spoke a word when we left the house. She just looked at the car and climbed in. I was grateful that her cat was used to cars so we could take her with us. She had her litter tray in her box but climbed into Suri's lap and stayed there. The babies were asleep for now so I hoped it would last the few hours I needed.

Three hours later I was pulling in at a fast food place and hauling them out as they scream blue murder for food. A car pulled up beside me and I froze as Bowdie got out.

"Need a hand?" he asked. Suri launched herself at him.

"What are you doing here?" I asked.

"I'm not here, I've gone for a drive," he replied. Code for I'll get in the shit if found out.

"Well you can have screamer one or screamer two," I said with two babies in my arms.

"I'll take the pink one," he said reaching out for Willow.

"Come on lets get some food," I said lifting up the cat basket.

"Mummy I want a milk shake and a burger," Suri said as we entered and everyone turned to stare at the woman with the screaming babies, cat basket, daughter with a black eye and wait... a husband. The looks changed from single mother with screaming brats to tired family on a road trip sympathy... judgemental bastards.

"You go sit I'll buy," Bowdie said.

"Are you sure?" I replied over the sound of Bay giving it stacks at the top of his lungs.

"Yes, go sit," he said and walked off with Willow still squealing in his arms. She soon shut up when she saw the pretty lights of the display and I sent Suri over with a bottle of Juice for her. People cooed over her in the queue and she hid shyly against Bowdies neck.

Bay was too upset to drink his juice, he just smacked it away or screamed as I held the bottle in his mouth. I rummaged around for nappy as Bowdie returned with a smiling Willow. He lifted Bay and took him to see the lights in the hope it would work for him too. He loved it. He also loved staring at the food. I would be missing our appointment with the nutritionist now. When Bowdie came back with the last tray of food I mentioned it.

"Well he is starving, that is why he is so miserable," Bowdie replied.

"Yeah but baby food makes him gag and choke," I said.

"Maybe last time he tried but I bet he could eat some yoghurt or something," he said and went back to the till returning with a yoghurt type drink in a tube. "Here we go, my little boy loves these," he said.

"You have a son?" I asked surprised as he had never mentioned his family.

"Three and two daughters," he said.

"You're married?" I asked still in shock.

"Yes," he said.

"Arranged?" I asked as I had to know.

"Yes."

"Do you love her?" I couldn't shut up.

"Yes, that is why we have so many children. I was very fortunate to have loved my wife since the age of 7 when she needed pushing on a swing," he said smiling at the memory.

I laughed. "That is lovely, did she love you too?" I asked wanting the whole story.

"No," he said shaking his head in mock disgust. "She had a huge crush on this other guy where she lived with her parents. I only got to see her when they came to visit or parties. She would go on and on about him. How they were going to get married and have children... then she found out we were arranged and pushed me over in front of everyone at a wedding. I was 10 and ran off crying."