Chapter 49 MAE DAY

Lee reached out and took my hand. Everything fussed around me for a second like being pulled though a black cloud. He let go as the room came into focus. I started to cough, my throat bone dry. He passed me a drink as I struggled to stop coughing.

"Humans and portals," Conrad said behind me as he appeared with Suri.

"I can hear," she said.

"Yes the adults are finished so you have your hearing back. Now I want to hear what you have been up to," Conrads father replied arriving. "And Lee for future reference remember not to move too fast with Mae through the portals or she will suffocate."

I was doing just that. Slowly my lungs were getting back to normal.

"Lee if you want to speak to Mae on your own go ahead. Conrad get me a drink please, Mae's is giving me indigestion."

Good, I thought as Lee grabbed my hand and dragged me out of the kitchen into an office type room.

"Did you not promise me to never attempt to take your own life again," he yelled.

I jumped as I was not expecting him to be so angry. He was furious!

"Did you not lay in my arms yesterday and promised me..."

"You promised me we would spend the weekend together..."

"One promise broken for the sake of the children is not something people get suicidal about!"

"I was already suicidal!" I yelled and burst into tears.

"I know you were before but I thought it was a moment of weakness and our conversation had proved to you that you are not alone."

"I didn't think..."

"What? You didn't think anyone would find you? I would find you Mae! I would have to walk in and find your body hanging or whatever method you decide to use to top yourself!"

"I...."

"How do you think I would have felt walking in to find you like that? You don't give a shit about me."

He turned away but I saw the tears race down a cheek.

"I do," I said reaching out to touch his shoulder.

"I've had a hard time too. I already lost my brother, a sister in law and our baby why would you want me lose you?"

"You had already lost me. I was sent away. No one even knew I existed."

"Bullshit! I knew."

"Well where were you? You never came near me until yesterday. You haven't had to give everyone you love up and be alone."

"I had to give up Suri and spent nearly a year without her."

"So have I!"

"You're not the only one whose been through shit! I nearly died in a car wreck protecting you all. I got married to someone who is terrified of me and only did it because she was spelled. You are not the only one who has been spelled. I was spelled into making a child with you. Spelled into fucking Stephanie who I hate so she could have my child. I nearly lost you one already. You were pushed over a balcony on our wedding night. Our wedding night! I nearly lost you then and we lost our baby!"

"I know!" I yelled.

"A baby we wouldn't have had if Suri wasn't using magic out of desperation to have us together. You knew that but wouldn't let me protect you from the Counsel."

"They were going to burn her!"

"No they wouldn't, I wouldn't let it!"

"You couldn't stop them. If Suri hadn't called Conrad I would be dust."