Chapter 14 - MAE DAY

As we pulled up to the service station for petrol I woke.

"Is there a toilet?" I asked.

"Yeah," he said and nodded.

I lifted a sleeping Suri out as he filled it with petrol and refused my card for payment. She was miserable as I sat her on the loo and tried to make her wee. Eventually she managed to go and as she stood half asleep whilst I wee'd she got even worst and cried with exhaustion. Poor kid wanted her own bed. What I wouldn't give to go home right now.

I carried her back crying to the car and strapped her in as Bowdie went to pay for the petrol and use the bathroom. When he came back she was still whining and close to waking the others up.

"Here," he said taking her out of the car and wrapped her in a travel blanket he brought from the shop. She looked liked a glow worm by the time he finished. "It's a Lee trick," he whispered to me as he lay her seat back a bit and strapped her in. The cat jumped back on her lap and everyone was ready for the off. Seeing her wrapped up like that reminded me how I used to get her to calm down when she first came to stay. Wrapping her up in blanket. She was a blanket baby like me.

Bowdie passed me a coffee. He was used to the road trips. I was rubbish.

"Have you heard from Lee?" I asked.

"No," he replied. "Did you change Willow's Oxygen?" he asked.

"Shit no, hold on," I was so stupid. I grabbed another tank and made the swap.

"Bowdie," Suri moaned.

"Yes sweetheart," he said.

"The light is in my eyes," she whined. Stupid forecourt lights were pretty bright.

"Here," he said and pulled the blanket a bit more on her head so it created a shade.

"All done," I said climbing back in.

"We're off," he said like a holiday bus driver.

I drank my coffee and listened to the Bay snore above the radio. I got a little bit panicky that Willow looked blue as we stopped at some traffic lights and the streetlight shone in the car. I was trying to check her oxygen was connected properly when Bowdie pulled over.

He agreed by holding her in front of the headlights that her lips looked a bit blue. Oh shit this is all we needed. He told me not to worry and called ahead. That is when I found out our host was a retired doctor who lectured.

"We are maybe an hour out," Bowdie said into the phone. "She seems ok but she's asleep. Just a little blue around the lips. Her night machine may be stronger than the tank.... Mmm... yeah... She has scarred lungs from being born too early."

He explained everything as I hugged her. I kissed her tiny face, it was cold to the touch as she let out a few week coughs that sounded like she was barking. "She is cold," I whispered. "And coughing."

He repeated it over the phone.

"Her body temp is low so we need to strap her in against you and see how that goes," he said coming off the phone.

I sat in the car and he placed her against my chest, his jacket over us and fastened the seat belt. Not legal on the road by needs must.

"We are not far out now. He has spoke to Lee's father and is prepared for them," Bowdie informed me.

"What kind of a doctor is he?" I asked.

"Not the human kind... I mean baby kind," he said slipping up.

"One day I will get answers Bowdie," I replied making him smile. "Not human hey," I said to Willow. "You are cute no matter what your gene pool and for the record being human can be highly over rated. I mean look at all these girls who drool over vampires... wait are you vampires?" I asked Bowdie as he buckled his seat belt.