Chapter 77

I thought being brought back to life was bad before, but this time it was unbearable. I knew it was my own fault. I had agreed to it and made the sacrifice but there were thousands of agonising moments, which seemed to last forever, and only the sound of Conrads voice gave me something to focus on. He wasn't allowed to help ease the pain, numb or sooth me but he could talk to me. I just wish he wasn't singing 'The lion sleeps tonight'! I'm in agony and he is 'Wimbowehing' his demon face off.

I rolled around, electric pulses shooting through my body with nowhere to go and no one to ground me.

"Cannnn you feel the loooove toniiiggghhhttt!"

Oh great now he was onto the 'Lion King'. Following it up with 'Circle of Life', he was quite good at that one but Hakunamatata was the best. By the end I was trying to join in, he told me to shut up as I was ruining it but I didn't.

"Every song a lion song," I moaned hours later.

"Torturous demon at your service," he smiled.

"You are beyond torture."

"They said I couldn't help you. So I tortured you with songs that would make you remember why you are doing this and not take any of the offers they made."

He was referring to the moments I was tested. Uncle and some of the other healers offered to help me if I gave up my request to help Lee. There were several times I nearly did it. I felt ashamed now but at the time I was ready to do anything to be rid of the pain. Thank god I didn't fail him.

"How is Suri?"

"Scared but she is tucked up in bed with my mother so she will feel safer. My father took the memory from her but she still has the fear as it is an instinctive reaction and will fade with time. She hasn't snuggled with my mother since she was three. I think she has missed it... my mother I mean. She had a real soft spot for Lee and loved to babysit when he had to go chew someone... well you know defend the realm."

"Don't worry I was there for the whole troll chewing thing. I know what he does and yes now I know what it feels like but that is history. I am not going to dwell."

"You have just been mauled to death, the least you can do is be in a huff with him. Murder has been known to end a marriage you know."

"So has sarcasm," I retorted. I didn't have the energy to be angry and what was the point he was going through hell at the moment so why add to it. Regardless of what happened to me, for Lee to hurt Suri that would destroy him. For him to 'cage' himself that must have took control and that meant he fought against it. I would fight for him. I needed to know what happened and if not being angry with him was the best way to piss off whoever expected me too, tough shit. Take another swipe at me because I may not be a lion but I have your scent now and I will recognise it when I see it again. A shimmering sky blue thread, with a twist of purple. It was like following a ball of wool. I would find the end one day and use it to strangle them with.

"Did they do the... you know," I said nodding.

"Yeah. I don't know why they didn't do that in the first place and save all this shit from happening," Conrad sighed.

His tummy grumbled.

"So what is on the menu tonight?" I asked him.

"A war criminal," he said patting his belly. "No you are awake I can go chow down."

"Ohhh yummy," I said trying not to think about it.

"If you want I will swallow him head first and then nip back here so you can tickle his feet, that would freak him out," Conrad laughed.