Chapter 56 - MAE DAY

My body started to burn. My left leg felt on fire... I tried to move it, to shake it off... ahhhhh!!! Lee! Leeeee! Ahhhhh!

"He is nearly here," Conrads father replied into my mind. "Your wounds are enflamed, there is no fire. It is only an illusion brought on from your fever."

Leeee? Leeeeeeeeee?

"Where is the husband? We need to get started," Sepi asked.

"They have just arrived," Conrad replied. "He is running up here now."

"Who is watching the children?" Uncle asked.

"His mother but she is also here in case we need her for Mae."

"Very good."

My skin was still on fire. Ahhhhh!!!!

"Shhhh, calm down Mae," Uncle whispered. "Shhhh."

"She smells of..."

"Troll," Conrad replied. "She was covered in every bodily fluid you can think of from both Troll and Human. It will take a week for the smell to fade. That is what made them so easy to hunt, the may be able to turn invisible in their realm but Lee killed everyone who left his scent on her. His father had no choice but to put her into the water to check her injuries. Lee carried her in his mouth, if they had phased and helped her in human form the local wildlife would have been on them in a second and bugs would have swarmed all over her."

"How did she cope with the lion?"Uncle asked.

"Well enough to get her home but Lee doesn't expect that to last if she recovers. Could she see them with her eyes so damaged?" Conrad asked.

"I don't think so. She was scorched by the volcano, it's melted her eyelashes and we think she has burnt retinas. She also has microscopic parasites all over her body from the river. So I doubt she could see them," Uncle replied.

"She seemed happy enough in his mouth but I think she was that desperate to get home that she would have climbing into the mouth of hell to escape it," Conrad replied.

"She hasn't been fully conscious since she got here and when Lee put her down she automatically reached back out for safety and attached herself to his leg like she was hiding behind a tree. It took me several attempts to prize her off it."

"I've heard of tree hugging but lion hugging, Mae is getting brave," Conrad joked.

"Or desperate. Where the hell is he?" Uncle snapped.

"Here," Lee replied.

"Finally, Lee lie down we need you to anchor her... what the hell happened to you?" Uncle asked.

"I'm fine," Lee replied... he was here!

"You don't look fine. How many realms have you been looking in? Is that a Troll bite?"

"This will be the part where I remind you this was not his fault and he has been searching for her without rest," Conrad replied.

"Lie down before you fall down," Uncle sighed. "How the hell he is supposed to help in that state is beyond me!"

"I am here to help him," Conrads father replied.

Leeeee?

"She is calling for him again," Conrad announced.

"He will be with you in a second honey. We are going to put you both in a sort of stasis. There is nothing for you to be scared of, ok. Just enjoy your alone time but don't move too much as we are trying to heal you," Uncle replied into my mind.