Chapter 12 - MAE DAY

We sat waiting for what seemed an eternity. My plans to pack up and move were still in motion as I couldn't risk the kids getting hurt in all this madness. Wendy and I were packing like mad women and there was so many kids clothes to go to hospital to fit the other premature babies and Wendy's daughter Lea was a year younger than Suri so all her old clothes were going to her.

I was packing light and couldn't shake the feeling that I needed to hurry and go. I would not settle until we were on the road. Obviously Wendy was upset to be losing her friend and the kids but she knew something dodgy was going on and I felt to some extent that I was rushing off with my kids like a woman leaving behind an abusive relationship. Stephanie was the abuser and I had to protect my kids.

"Mae, phone," Wendy said passing me her mobile.

"Hello," I said as I put it to my ear.

"Mae listen," Mike said. "He hasn't got long and it doesn't look like he is going to make it. He wants to speak to you."

Lee wasn't going to make it. My eyes stung with tears as I waited to hear his voice.

"Mae," I heard whispered in a pained voice. He sounded so ill.

"Lee," I replied so he knew I could hear him.

"You need to...go," he said breathless by the end.

"Is Stephanie dead?" I asked.

"No," he replied. "Fake... take the teddy."

"I've got it and your letter. Do you want me to give it her now?" I asked.

I could hear his raspy breath and the sound of the hospital.

"Run... you need to... run..."

"Run? Where? When?"

"Kiss my baby for... me," he stammered.

"Every day," I said trying not to sob.

"Tell her..." his chest wheezing down the phone. "I love her."

"Of course I will."

"And the babies..." he said barely audible.

"Yeah."

"And... you," he whispered making me cry.

"We loved you too," I sniffled.

"Go..."

"We will. You get well and come find us. Don't you marry her!" I said. It was silent... "Lee?... Lee?" I called.

"He's passed out," Mike said. "It's not good. I want you to pack up the car and the kids now. Get my wife out of there and leave the rest. He was terrified he was too late to save you and the kids from something. He may have just used the last of his strength to talk to you so get the kids in the car and leave."

"I want to see him," I sobbed.

"You can't..."

"Lee, in reality I would have heard about the crash and gone to see him before we left..."

"He was knocked out. He came around in the field after being flung from the car. He has a broken hip, arm, wrist and numerous internal injuries. You are to leave and pretend you know nothing about this. Keep the kids safe. I'll pack up the rest of the stuff and send it to you. Acting like a normal house move. He was terrified you and the kids were dead."

I felt my blood run cold.

"Ok we will leave now," I said.

"I'll be in touch," he said and hung up.