Chapter 72 - Mae Day

"Remember to breath," Uncle said as he took my arm and led me into the huge hall. Tables of guests all turned to watch us. "Breath," he reminded me.

This dress may be beautiful but is was a nightmare to walk in. I felt everyone's eyes on me. All turning their heads to whisper. Judging me ... my head was feeling woozy trying to block their emotions... focus.

"Welcome Mae," a member of the counsel said as he walked to greet us. "You will be seated here for the meal and we will have a chance to catch up but first we will need a sample of your blood and a quick display of your powers."

He led us to the front where an altar was set and three men were waiting. I offered my hand slowly as Uncle had instructed. They all seemed nervous as a drop of blood was taken from my finger with the prick of a needle. The room grew silent as the spot of blood on the paper was dropped into a bowl and lit. It burnt bright purple, pink and then white. All spiralling up into the air like a strand of DNA. Uncle smiled at me proudly.

"The blood is pure. She is of no threat and no longer human. Welcome to a new world, Mae Grayson," the counsel member said leading to applause from the room.

It was time to make a speech. Oh god... I blew out a deep breath as Uncle gave me a 'you can do it' look. What would I do without this man? Well I would be dead several times over that is for sure.

I cleared my throat as the counsel member placed the microphone in front of me. My throat immediately went dry and I again looked at Uncle as I lost the ability to swallow. He passed me a glass of water. I took a sip and started to cough. Oh my god could I look any more of a twat. The silence was deafening and I was on the cusp of bursting into tears, hitching up my dress and doing a runner.

I turned my back on the audience to try to stop coughing and take another sip of water. Uncle stood in front of me and took my hands in his. "No one here wants you to fail. Not even Lee. All you have to do is introduce yourself and show them what you are capable of. Just one thing, not everything. A display of non human abilities. Take deep breath, turn and tell them your name. Tell them what you are and who you are married to. Do it quickly."

I nodded and took a moment to use his strength to ground myself. I turned and faced the room full of people all waiting on my announcement.

"Sorry I'm a bit nervous," I mumbled into the microphone which decided to squeal with feedback. I swallowed a took a deep breath. "My name is Mae Day... I mean..." I looked over at Uncle in horror as I realised my mistake. He nodded for me to carry on. "Sorry, erm... I meant to say Mae Grayson."

My mind went blank, totally blank. What the hell was next... name... oh power.

"I am an empath. I am also the wife of Lee Grayson your protector and guardian of the realm."

"May we have proof of your claim?" the counsel asked.

I nodded and tried to ignore the picture of Lee and I, which appeared behind me from our wedding. Though it looked idyllic and knew it was far from it. We were both putting on a show for people much like we would tonight. Protect the realm, show a united front and a history in the making.

"As you are aware this is a test and we have not shared with Mae what she will be asked to do and we are not 100% certain she can do it but she is new to this world and her powers will grow," the counsel member announced. "Uncle believes she can do it so I ask you all to remain silent and be aware of your emotions during this test as it will affect Mae's ability to carry out the task."

Uncle led me to a chair in the middle of the room and help me sit with the stupid dress on.

"I don't know if you all remember hearing about Mae and the Trolls. Her husband and father in law rescued her but there were other people who had fallen pray to the same fate as Mae," Uncle said.