Chapter 57 - MAE DAY

"Mae, open your eyes baby. I'll feed you this," Lee said quietly.

I opened my eyes, my head feeling ready to roll off my shoulders as I blinked myself awake. I was in my old room at Uncles. My eyes felt sore and tired so I closed them again.

"No, come on try and wake up a little. Uncle needs you to eat some soup and build up some strength," Lee said.

Food... I was starving. Not just hungry. Starving. I opened my eyes as the smell of the soup made my tummy rumble.

"And you tell me off for growling," Lee teased. "Sip this water slowly."

He held a glass to mouth. I couldn't get it fast enough as I started to guzzle.

"Slowly," Lee said but it was falling on deaf ears. He pulled the glass away. I was out of breath and desperate for more water. "You will get sick unless you slow down."

I noticed my arms were covered in some sort of material. I looked like a mummy.

"Slow...ly," Lee said bringing the glass to my mouth but again I grabbed it and guzzled. "Mae, slow down."

"I see she is paying as much attention to you as usual," Uncle said entering the room as I feasted on the water.

"I may as well talk into the wind," Lee replied pulling the now empty glass away.

I was exhausted. Exhausted from drinking water, what the hell? Water which I felt was a feast. Shit I was in dire Straits.

"Open," he said holding a spoon to my mouth.

I opened my mouth a little. It was oxtail soup, one of my favourites. Mmmm.

"Nooo," Lee said moving back. "You are not holding the bowl. I will feed you."

I hadn't even realised I'd tried to snatch it. He fed me another spoonful and I was relieved he was ready with the next the moment I swallowed it. I felt like Bay ready for his dinner. Lee was well practiced at this and smiled when I started to fall asleep half way through eating.

"She is still too weak," Uncle whispered.

"At least she is awake and eating," Lee replied. "I will get her strong again."

"I have every faith," Uncle replied. "How much did she eat?"

"About half," Lee replied.

"You can try her later with something more solid if she keeps that down."

No sooner had he said it than out of nowhere I threw up. I had no control, my mouth just opened and it shot all over the bed.

"Well that was more or less what we expected," Uncle said as Lee pulled the covers off and rushed them into the bathroom. Returning with a wet face flannel and gave my face a wipe.

"Sip this water, one sip. Do not guzzle or you will puke," Lee said holding the glass to my lips.

I sipped it and lay back ready to sleep again.

"Wait," Lee said rushing off to the bathroom and returning with an electric toothbrush and small bowl. "Freshen up before you sleep," he held out the toothbrush. "Open," he ordered. Part of me was thinking is he seriously going to brush my teeth and the other part was thinking there was no way I could do it myself and my tongue felt like leather. He gave them a quick run around with the brush like I used to with Suri and let me rinse my mouth with water.

"Your bedside manner is commendable," Uncle teased him.

"I want her to be as comfortable as possible."