Chapter 66 - Mae Day

Tears streamed down my face, my eyes so wide in shock, horror and disbelief that my brain was still trying to comprehend what I was seeing. I couldn't breathe, my hands dropped to my sides as I gasped for air and stared ahead at the tomb with a sculpture of my sister and her husband on top of it in marble. Lying there like two lovers! Finally the scream escaped and another followed.

One second I was looking at my sister marble image the next I was outside and falling to the ground. My lungs heaving, unable to swallow, my throat screaming as my mind reeled.

"It's ok Mae," Conrad said trying to hug me but I pushed him away, screaming as I scrambled across the floor.

"Mae!" Uncle called running over to me.

"I'll get Lee!" Conrad said.

I continued to scream. Uncle trying to calm me but all I could see was my sister grave in my mind. "Mae calm down. Shhh, calm down. Come on sweetheart get control."

I couldn't breath, as I started to panic and crawl away from the tomb.

"What the hell is she doing down here?" Lee asked as he arrived with Conrad and rushed over.

"Ho...me," I stammered between sobs as I flung my arms around his neck and held tight.

"Ok baby. I will take you home," he said picking me up in his arms and carrying me back to towards the main house as I cried and hyperventilated myself to near passing out.

One minute we were on a field the next back in the room with my sisters picture.

"Get me a Whiskey," Lee said to Conrad as he laid me on a sofa. "Shhh, it's ok," he whispered over and over as he hugged me tight. "Here take a sip of this," he said passing me the Whiskey. I took a tiny sip but it made me cough and splutter as it burnt my throat.

"I'll get her some tea instead," Uncle said.

"What the hell happened? What was she doing out there? I said that I was to take her to visit April and Glenn when the time was right and no one else!" Lee yelled as he held me tight. "I am her husband, I do it!" he was close to tears himself.

"We didn't disobey you Lee. It's the transition something happened. She was stood there in front of April and Glenn's picture. She seemed to be having some sort of vision as though she was talking to her sister, Uncle told her it was a vision and she stopped. The next thing we know she ran out of her shouting after April. As soon as she got outside she ran at super human speed," his mother replied. "We couldn't follow or stop her. She seemed to be following April and no one told her they were buried her let alone where."

"What happened to the Mausoleum door?" Lee asked.

"She forced it open," Conrad replied.

"How the hell did she managed to do that?" Lee asked.

"Brut force," Conrad replied. "I was in conference with Asha and felt her dread. I thought she was in trouble again so transported. I found her stood inside, screaming at her sisters tomb in horror. I pulled her out as the emotion was overwhelming. There was no one else there to open the door, only Mae. Uncle and your mother were barely a minute behind me and I got you seconds after that."

"Mae, sweetheart, can you hear me?" Lee asked. "Are you hurt anywhere?" he asked looking over my hands, arms and shoulders.

I couldn't tell I was too upset and shocked... my sister is dead. Seeing her grave was literally the final nail in the coffin of my pretending she would turn up someday.

I spent the next few minutes sobbing my heart out as quietly as possible onto poor Lee's chest. Conrad trying to ease my pain with his touch but saying it wasn't working as grief is part of the natural order.