Chapter 30 MAE DAY

"Mae," Carla whispered.

I opened my eyes but they shut again with exhaustion.

"Mae, wake up," she whispered.

I tried again and lasted a few seconds.

"Mae, we need to get you cleaned up. We need to ensure you don't get an infection," she whispered. "Just lift her arm, Rema."

They pulled me up to sitting. I tried to help but was too out of it to know my arms from my legs let alone what they were supposed to do. Some how my body worked on auto pilot walking through with them to the bathroom.

"Here you go, a nice warm bath," she said helping me out of a silk night gown.

"Careful stepping in," Rema said as she helped me.

It was heaven, perfect temperature, deep and bubbly. The scent was divine and all the aches in my body rejoiced at the heat as I slouched down to bring it up to my neck and closed my eyes.

"She is still half asleep but we couldn't leave her like that," Rema whispered.

"Watch her whilst I take these away and change the bedding," Carla replied.

"I'll let her have a soak first and help her wash her hair in a little while...."

"Lee!" Carla said shocked.

"What are you doing?" Lee asked annoyed.

"Just helping her whilst you saw to the children," Carla stammered. "You shouldn't see this. We'll clean it up."

"Is all that blood..."

"Hers, yes," Carla replied. "It looks worse than it is... well obviously losing a baby is terrible," she said, "I meant to say, this blood loss will be like a heavy period for her. This is only because she has bled onto the bed as we forgot to give her a sanitary towel."

"Where is she?"

"In the bath soaking, Rema is watching her. She is still half asleep and highly medicated."

"I'll help with the bed," Lee offered.

"We can manage if you want to stay with the children."

"No, I need to help and my mother has the twins. I feel useless. This is my fault I should at least help change the bed and go fetch her anything she needs. What does she need? I can get sanitary towel for her and some a new nightdress or I can stay away if she prefers."

"Ohhh Lee, don't cry," Carla said choking up herself as I heard her hugging him. "Everything will be ok."

"No, it won't. My wife is terrified of me, our baby is dead, Suri is out of control and I don't know how to fix it," he cried. "I know the minute the drugs wear off Mae won't want anything to do with me. How am I supposed to take her to our new home if she can't bear to be near me?"

"You leave Suri to Uncle. He has called the counsel and she will be dealt with after her. They will be here shortly, they know it is urgent and maybe they can help you and Mae. I know how she felt about you before; I saw it in her eyes. She turned Anton down for a date. No human can resist him. She was too busy noticing the family similarities. Pissed him off no end as he could tell you were one of her favourite people on the planet. I know once she gets her fear under control you will get that closeness back and out of that friendship could blossom a wonderful marriage. Has she not seen you in your other form she would have walked down that aisle with a grin so wide it would had blinded the guests."

"I'll never change again," he pledged.

"It's not about you changing Lee. You can't help the way you were born anymore than she can help being born with human frailty and the twins can help having a human mother. It is what's inside her mind that scares her. She is fine with cats, we know that as Suri has one so it may just be big cats. She see's them as predators. It is human nature."