Chapter 42 MAE DAY

I got home later that night after spending my shift getting every thing wrong because Lee was all I cold think of!

How hot he looked leant against his car and how my heart nearly puked with excitement as soon as I set eyes on him. How the sound of his voice had made my body buzz as my blood surged with adrenaline. How he had defended me and wanted to kill a man for touching me, possessiveness can be hot! How sexily he sat in the driving seat of an amazing car. His hands on the wheel so casually steering and in control, changing gear at ease. His dark grey trousers clinging to his thighs and polished leather shoes adjusting the pedals. The way the seat belt slid across to his muscular chest and lap, reminding me of the time I had my head in it.

Yep, I was a mess and had cried in the toilet twice at work because even though I had only seen Lee for a short amount of time, I missed him and was so lonely and miserable. I had even kept the wrapper of the granola bar he gave me because he had touched it and it made me feel closer to him.

I realised the flat was warm, there was gas, electric and the fridge was full. Even meals I could heat in the microwave. Fresh bread and a tray of some terribly mis-shaped slightly burnt cookies. I cried my eyes out as put the kettle on realising Lee must have done it for me. I was embarrassed to be in this state and felt a charity case but I really did need help and I couldn't look a gift horse in the mouth... or lion.

I took a bite of the ugly but delicious cookies. Suri never fails to make a good batch. I missed her so much and closed my eyes trying to picture her face and the concentration on it as she makes her cookies. The way her tongue sticks out a bit as she gets her hands dirty squidging it all together.

"You're back, sorry I fell asleep," Lee said behind me in a tired voice.

I spun around, "Wh... what...what are you doing here?"

"Conrad let me in. It's the weekend. I thought I'd spend it with you."

"But I have work," I replied stupidly.

"You won't be able to get there. It's going to snow. Really bad," he said smiling and I knew he meant he'd arranged it.

"What about the kids?"

"All sorted, and I have wine, so get over here and give me a cuddle because you've been at work for hours," he said putting his arms out. I ran over to him, I couldn't help myself.

"Thank you," I said squeezing him to death, feeling the burden of being lonely ease a while.

"I was going to make dinner but if you want to go out for a meal before the snow..."

"No! I want to be alone with you," I said quickly without thinking but as soon as I said it I felt embarrassed, ashamed of what I'd become and the state in which he found me.

"Are you ok?" he asked leaning back to look at my face, tilting my chin up with his finger so he could see me.

"No, no I'm not," I replied. "I'm sorry you found me like this. I'm so ashamed of myself."

"It's my fault you are in this position," he replied.

"No, no it isn't."

"It is Mae, you are my wife. I should be looking after you," he said.

"Are we still married?"

"Yes."

"Oh."

"Oh... did you not think we were married?" he asked leaning around to look at my face.

"Well I had to leave and give you the ring back. I've been on my own all this time so I didn't think we were and I definitely didn't feel it," I admitted.