Chapter 16 - MAE DAY

I didn't manage a full nights sleep despite the offer of help as Willow and Bay decided they wanted to be with me and not in the nursery. They were making strange with everyone else and poor Willow was the worst. Her little lungs were tired and scarred from being born too early so the crying was making her worse. She spent the rest of the night in the baby sling on my chest whilst I sorted out Bay who was hungry. It was too late in the night, or early in the morning to roam the house looking for something to blend down or a yogurt to try him with so I tried him with a rusk. He screamed the house down.

I gave up and took them in search of food as I was no doubt waking the house. Suri was used to it but the rest were now getting woken up by the twins nocturnal habits.

It was pitch black, huge and scary in the house at night. I had no idea where the light switches were or kitchen so was using my phone light as a guide.

"Can I help you miss?" a voice called as I headed for the stair.

"Fuuuuuu," I said jumping out of my skin and turning towards the voice.

"Sorry," the young man said smiling as he realised he had scared me and I Bay gave him a shocked baby look before starting off crying again.

"I am just looking for the kitchen so I can feed these," I said holding the babies out a bit more, as if he didn't already know who 'these' were.

"Why don't you wait in the dining room and I will fetch them something," he suggested.

"No, it's ok. Just point me in the direction as I don't know what to make them and it's there first real feed," I said not wanting to trouble him.

"I'll sort it Dan, you can retire for the evening," Uncle said appearing at the end of the corridor.

Dan nodded, wished us good night and took off.

"I'm sorry," I said above Bay's insistent cry.

"Bay Grayson that is enough noise from you," Uncle said sternly and Bay gave one last 'wah' and stopped. Willow decided to start off again. "Willow, no," he said and she huffed as she too stopped crying.

"How the hell do you do that?" I asked.

"You are too soft with them. They are tag teaming you," he said reaching out for Bay who I handed over as my arms were aching. "They will get a routine and so will you," he said making me feel scolded.

I followed him down stairs to the kitchen. I would never have found it. I sat at a huge wooden table whilst he held bay on his hip and opened the fridge. As soon as Bay saw the food he started off again.

"I know you are hungry, give me a minute," Uncle replied but Bay was having none of it. His cries echoing through the kitchen and down the hall.

Willow had found her thumb so was quiet and staring as uncle pulled things out.

"Ahh haa," he said "There were go."

Two pots with the childrens names on and heating instructions. He popped the food in the microwave to heat for a minute and bottles into a bottle warming device and sat down with Bay.

"Cook will leave their meals ready, they don't take long as to heat and they will sleep longer with a belly full of goodness," he said above Bay's crying.

I was surprised he didn't tell him to hush but instead he seemed to sympathise with him for seeing the food and not getting it. The microwave pinged and Bay stopped as they walked towards it.

"He knows that is for him," I said.

"Yes, he is very quick to adapt," Uncle replied as he sat him in a highchair and strapped him in. Bay was looking at the microwave with hungry eyes.