Chapter 2 - MAE DAY

"Mae," a voice called. I woke with a start, adrenaline rushing through my veins. "Shhh, it's ok they are fine," Lee said and my heart wanted to strangle him for a false start on the race it was now committed too. "My parents are here, they are on their way up to the ward," he said.

"Oh, ok. I will go for a walk and leave you to it," I said still half asleep.

"No, stay. I just wanted to give you a chance to wake up before they descended on us and you woke to a room full of strangers," he said.

"It's ok, I need some fresh air," I said getting up slowly.

He gave me a dubious look as I made my way out of the door with a quick look back at the babies and in my mind begged them not to die whilst I was gone.

As I waited on the lift, I realised how strange it was to see the world outside passing by as normal and knew the fresh air would do me good.

I stood inside the lift as the lift opposite opened and out walked very important looking people with what looked like bodyguards, from what my sister had told me... that was them. I looked down so they couldn't see me, not that they knew what I looked like but I wanted to hide non the less and was relieved when the door closed and started to descend.

I used the bathroom, and looked in the mirror as I washed my face with terrible smelling hand wash and run my fingers through my hair long dark hair. I had washed it in this same sink yesterday when I realised it was greasy and smelly... a health hazard. I had used a free sample sachet from a magazine I found in the waiting room whilst the doctors were with the babies.

I went for a walked outside, well a walk to the front entrance and stood staring a people parking badly, songs they chose to play too loud in their cars, people rushing in to see a loved one, doctors walking in to work looking bored and tired. People smoking by a sign that tells them it will kill them and a voice on repeat to tell them it will. People eating and drinking, looking for change for the car park or rushing into a taxi and giving an address. Oh what I wouldn't give to be able to do that now.

I had run out of money, my bank card was at home as I had used it to pay a bill online the day before the accident and forgot to put it back in my purse. Being so far from home I wasn't able to rush back and get it. I had exactly 27p in my purse and in a hospital that brought you... nothing. Hospital prices were extortionate. Car parking fees would be a months wage by the time I got my car back, a drink and something to eat was always over £5 which when you are in a hospital morning, noon and night, you soon run out of funds. My phone battery died and I had no charger. I was unable to get online, phone anyone as I had no money, no phone numbers as my phone was dead and no toiletries. All of that paled into significance when two babies were losing the fight for their lives right before your eyes, every day slipping further and further away.

"Hi," Lee said appearing beside me. I turned to see he was even more visually appealing in the cold light of day and those eyes were like a collection of autumn leaves.

"Hi," I replied.

"Come, let me buy you breakfast whilst my parents stay with the babies," he said taking my hand and pulling me along before I could protest. Not that I would have I was starving.

He pulled me through the crowded restaurant and found a table. "Ok sit there, what would you like?" he asked.

"Cup of coffee and some toast please," I said feeling a bit weird to let him pay but I didn't have any money so I should fill up whilst I can.

He walked off and I set about people watching. I noticed some patients with family members or out on their own so I knew they were getting better. I noticed nurses and doctors who always sat together. I even knew what some of them were referring to in their conversations as I had eavesdropped over the past few days due to boredom and the nurses lending me a teabag or packet soup so I could have a drink for free... hot water was free.