Chapter 6 - MAE DAY

We had been taken by car to a house, it was obviously an old show home as it looked very state of the art but had no comfort about it. Everything you could ever desire from an interior perspective was there, even things you never knew you existed but were cool. The house felt as new born as the babies and needed just as much nurturing to become a home.

The bodyguard who had fought earlier escorted us inside and still looked a little worse for wear. There were three more with him and I knew they were not staying. It was dropping us off and then we would be on our own. Cut off, I thought as I looked at the sleepy girl with the broken heart in front of me just staring at her new surroundings.

"Come on sweetheart," I said leading her into the kitchen. This was supposed to be the heart of the house so it was the best place to start.

In the few hours drive to get here someone had stocked the fridge, put on the heating and lit the fire in the main room.

"Are you hungry?" I asked Suri. She hadn't spoke since the lift.

She didn't answer. She was asleep on her feet bless her.

"I will leave you to settle in," the guard said. "The twins are doing well and you will receive a phone call tomorrow telling you where they are."

I nodded.

"Your car should arrive tomorrow and the papers for you to sign," he said looking at Suri who was still just standing there looking lost.

"Thank you, I hope you feel better soon," I replied nodding to his injuries.

"No, thank you," he said sincerely as he continued to watch Suri. "Goodbye little princess," he said to Suri as he bent down to her level. "You be brave now ok."

Her little lip hung and she looked down away from him.

"Here," he said motioning for someone to bring something in.

It was a cat, a very fluffy white cat. More fur than cat if the truth be known.

She ran over and hugged the cat to her, "Snuggles, Daddy let us go," she said and cried into the cats fur. "We don't have a daddy anymore," she sobbed.

I covered my mouth as my own heart broke for her and Lee. I was still confused and stunned at what had happened in the past few hours and I worried sick about the twins who I felt I had abandoned. Why did I make that call? I was such a fool and have ruined everyones lives.

I rushed over to her, "Daddy is in here, remember," I said touching her heart. She hugged me, squashing the poor cat between us as she cried her heart out. "He loves you so much, don't you ever think he doesn't want to be with you because he does with all his heart," I said kissing her head as I cuddled her and the amazingly content cat.

"I want my daddy!" she cried.

"I know sweetheart, I know," I replied as I rocked her side to side as I had seen Lee do.

"I have to go. A housekeeper and nanny will be assigned if you want them," the guard informed me.

"No we will be fine on our own. Just Suri, Snuggles, me and the babies," I replied and she squeezed me tight. "With daddy in our hearts," I said kissing her tiny head.

The guard nodded and signalled for them all to leave.

"Bowdie," Suri called out. He turned and looked at her. "Look after my daddy," she said.

He nodded a promise and left.

That is when the real crying started. The poor little girl was heartbroken, abandoned, in a new home with a stranger who was to be her new mummy. I let her cry it out and every hour or so she would do it again. By the time I got us into bed she was still snuffling in her sleep, the odd sob that broke my heart and prayed to my sister the help me. I had no idea what my sister had gotten herself into but if my taking on this little girl and the twins was my destiny I would do it to the best of my ability.

Suri was up crying for her daddy four hours later and still crying when the door knocked and a very official man arrived from Lee's office with papers. He was tall, grey haired and very professional but when he had to wait for me to try to calm Suri down again he was visibly moved by her distress.

She calmed enough for me to sit with her one my knee straddled across me and cuddled up to my chest. I had found a soft blanket in the stuff in the babies room and been using it as a comforter to wrap tight around her. I was a blanket baby so I went with what I knew. She was calmer when snuggling and wrapped up like a Fajita.

"If you would sign here," the lawyer said pointing to a place next to Lee's. I reached out a shaky hand and signed it quickly. "And here," I signed again. "And here," I carried on signing. "This envelope contains all the things you need and I will be your contact should any urgent matters arise in the future."

"Thank you," I said but thought am I 'thankful' no, I am being polite.

Suri was finally asleep against my chest, her face pale and exhausted.

"I was going to ask if her things were being brought over," I asked.

He looked puzzled.

"Her old toys, clothes, pictures of her growing up..."

"Her old life no longer exists. Her things were destroyed yesterday evening to my knowledge only her cat was allowed to be taken with her."

"What! Why the hell would they do that?" I asked.

"She is yours now. You are her mother..."

"But surely she can at least have a picture of her parents..."

"You are her parent. All other parentage was destroyed."

"Baby pictures," I asked.

"I believe there are some in the envelope provided but that is it," he said standing to leave.

"Where are the twins?" I asked.

"Details are in the envelope. Your car will arrive shortly," he said. "If you need me I am on this number." He handed me a white business card with a hand written number. "I'll show myself out."

With that he was gone and I was sat holding Suri and wondering yet again what the hell I had gotten myself into. If I was feeling as confused and upset about all this, Lord knows how this helpless little angel felt in my arms. I pressed a kiss to her forehead and promised 'I'm your Mummy now and I will look after you just like daddy asked me too," and with that I accepted that I was no longer alone, I was mother with a family and along side that came a primal instinct to crush anyone who hurt my kids. Top of the list Stephanie!