Chapter 78

"Just let me wee in peace," I snapped.

"You don't need to wee on that expensive peace of crap. I know you are up the duff," Conrad said putting the pregnancy test back on the supermarket shelf.

"I... just..." I tried wrestling it back into the basket but he was too strong and the packet broke in half. "Great now I am going to have to pay for it and not use it. Nice going nobhead."

"God someone is hormonal," he moaned before throwing the test into a mini portal and smiling like he had just put the bin out.

"I want to do one for myself. I want to see the test and know I am without magic or demon senses or whatever it is you use. Just normal piss on a stick human stuff. Is that too much to ask?"

"At that price yes. That is a weeks worth of shopping and as you are not working and are barely letting the Grayson's care for you, you are going to run out of money and that is wasting it."

He was right. As much as I appreciated the Grayson's caring for me as part of their pride I was still feeling like an outsider. They were paying for the apartment as they said it was already paid for so renting it to me would be silly. Not that I had the money for rent but I had to offer to pay something so I didn't feel like a squatter. They wouldn't take money for bills either.

In the weeks that had passed Mrs Grayson and Grandma Grayson had both taken to visiting. At first it was a bit awkward but now it like a friend popping around for a coffee. Grandma Grayson baked lovely cakes and Lemon Drizzle was my favourite. She had said Lee loves it too before leaving the room for a good cry in the bathroom. I had no idea what his punishment was but I felt it sickened them to the stomach and they feared for him.

I also knew that they were eternally grateful for my sacrifices and if they were able to help heal the scars they would but that was against the rules. I was to wear them as a reminder of what I had been through. Why Lee needed to be punished and why my helping him was wrong. I should be calling for him to be destroyed like a dog that bit a child. Protector or not, he failed to protect. He was weak and been affected too many times by spells and whatever else they wouldn't mention around me. He didn't want to be a protector, he just wanted to be a lawyer and raise his child alone. He pushed against everything they had ever asked of him and now no one had his back except me.

The truth had been discovered about his wife's affair on the same night as I was attacked. That meant someone was listening in when she mentioned it. Someone who could hear ghosts. He was being punished for letting her betray him and lie with another when he should have killed her. The child should have been aborted as there was no guarantee it was his and even though Suri was the image of her father when born, others now questioned her linage. Some said that his lion discovered the truth and mauled Suri as a consequence. Lions in the wild often kill the cubs from another male. Others were saying that the truth was known by the Graysons and his father caused her mothers embolism at the birth once his grandchild was born. He didn't want Lee to be stuck in a marriage with a whore.

It was all a mess and Suri was staying with Sebastian whilst it was all running its course. Apparently someone had tried to take a shot at Suri in his realm and paid for it with their life. He didn't kill them, his wife did and sent out word that anyone who even thought of harming the child would appear on her spellbook by name and would be held accountable. Some thought it was bullshit until five others paid with their lives. Keabal Legcsi had been flayed alive for his part in a plot.

"Come on Phantom," Conrad teased dragging me out of the aisle and into another full of sweets.

"Urrrr look at her face!" a kid yelled in horror whilst the one next to him just burst out crying in terror.