Chapter 61 - Mae Day

I dreamt of being kissed and opened my eyes to see Lee leaving the room the taste of his kiss still lingered on my lips. It was too late to call after him.

I lay there for a while thinking of nothing in particular... mainly Lee, before deciding to get up and have a shower.

As I ventured downstairs an hour later I heard Uncle laughing his head off at something on the news so walked in to see him.

"Ahhh good morning Mae, you look almost human," he teased.

"I feel it. Slightly hung over and a bit trampled on but alive," I replied.

"And hungry," he said nodding to the table where the hot plates held some breakfast.

"Ohhh I am starving. I feel like I've slept for a week," I said grabbing a plate and lifting the lid to get some bacon.

"You have near enough but it's to be expected. How about we go out today and you can get some fresh air," he said helping me with my plate. My wrists were still weak and somewhere in my mind I knew I should be panicking about things but was happy I had something else to focus on. Food!

I sat eating as Bowdie came in. He looked shattered.

"Morning," he said in a voice that confirmed my initial thoughts.

"Sit down before you fall down," Uncle said. "I'll fetch you some food and coffee."

Bowdie sat down and looked about ready to drop as his eyes remained squinted and puffy. He didn't say a word, just sat there staring into space.

"Eat this and get to bed," Uncle said dropping a huge plate of food in front of him.

Bowdie nodded, yawned and sat for a few more seconds before remembering to eat.

"Zombie," I said to Uncle.

"Yeah Lee is the same but a little more resilient. He can power nap but Bowdie will stay up and then crash for ten hours straight."

"Hibernate," I said making him giggle and Bowdie give me a not impressed look.

I wanted to ask what was so important it made them have to stay up but I didn't. I couldn't quite get my words out.

"When you are finished we can take the car and go shopping for a new dress or something," Uncle said shaking me from my daze.

"I don't have any money to go shopping."

"I am happy to treat you. We should stop and see Lee at work so he knows we are out and see if he needs anything."

Lee at work... I needed to change. I couldn't go like this!

"Don't worry about getting changed, I have a plan," Uncle said grinning at me. I could practically feel his excitement. He obviously loved to spoil women and who was I to argue. I hadn't had anything new in nearly a year. Spoil me all you like!

I hurried with my breakfast and ran upstairs to get my handbag. It took me a while but I found it in the wardrobe. Why I needed it was beyond me probably because I never go anywhere without it. In the end I left it and felt relieved at having no handbag or phone to carry. Plus the children were still at their grandparents so I best enjoy the peace whilst I can.

"Come on," Uncle said beeping a chitty chitty bang bang car outside the house.

I nearly tripped over my chin as my jaw hit the ground. I was speechless as I sat in the car and took a deep breath of the antique interior.

"You might need these," Uncle said passing me a headscarf and sunglasses. "I borrowed them off Carla, they are not mine."

I laughed as I moved over to nose in the rear mirror and sort myself out. Cool!