Chapter 40 MAE DAY

Eight months later.

"Mae, you are failing this class. I don't know how else to explain the seriousness of this situation. This paper is completely wrong, it's as though you have read the wrong question."

"I'll re-do it," I said taking the paper.

"If you need help in getting your grade up I can help you with some one on one tutoring," the lecherous tutor replied reaching out to place his hand on mine.

"No thank you," I replied pulling my hand away.

His hand moved to my arm and began to stroke it.

"I know you are going through a hard time and I am here for you..."

"I have to go," I said pulling my arms away.

"Well if your change your mind I am here," he said as I rushed out the door.

"Bastard!" I grumbled as I rushed out and hurried off to work.

"Late again!" the manager yelled over the bar as I arrived.

"Sorry my tutor held me back again and..."

"Offered you his unique services again," he guessed.

"Yes and I declined, again," I replied rushing to the staff room to dump my things and change into my uniform.

I was lucky to get a lift home tonight after work as it was freezing outside. I opened the door to find a note pushed through it.

'Mae, popped around to see if I could convince you to take me up on the offer of tuition. Sorry I missed you. I am happy to do it for free as I know you are strapped for cash. Your passing the course makes me look good so, yes, I have an agenda... pay rise! See you in the morning. Alan. x'

I immediately felt uneasy. Like my home had been invaded. This tiny one bed flat is not big enough to hide in. It was so cold! I pressed the heating on only to find out the gas had run out. Not only was it too late to get a top up as the shops were shut but I didn't have any money until pay day which was a week and a half away. That meant tea and toast for dinner and breakfast and washing in a bowl of kettle boiled water for a week. I best find my 'greasy hair' hat.

I made the tea, the milk was off by three days. I was lucky it had lasted this long. The last scrapping of butter out of the tub was not enough to cover half a piece of toast let alone two. I found two slices of American cheese. Plopped them on top and microwave it for a few seconds. Proud of myself for my new cheese on toast recipe, I slunk down to read my paper and instead found myself caught up in a thing I could do for hours. Think about things I shouldn't. An old life, I was not part of, an old life I was told to leave. I began to cry into my tea... again. I should be used to being told to leave it's been happening since I was a kid so why did it still sting so bad and why do I let it haunt me?

Oh how I hate my life! It sucks balls... no wait it sucks Godzilla balls!

"Good morning Mae," my tutor replied as I arrived.

I nodded and sat down. I had decided to ignore him and pretend I didn't find the note. How dare he find my address and turn up at my door!

I busied myself talking to another student as I felt his eyes burning into me.

"Mae, can you come to the front please?" he called.

I sighed and rolled my eyes as I made my way down.

"Did you get my note?" he asked.

"No," I replied.

"Ohhh well I popped by your place last night to offer ..."

"Can this wait, everyone is ready," I said nodding to a silent class.

"Of course," he said and I headed back to my desk.

As the end of class, I hid between everyone and managed to escape! I felt like Rocky running for the bus to work. I had won this round... creepy bastard.

Work was hectic and I was on until closing. One of the bouncers dropped me home. I told him about the tutor during my break and he insisted on it. He was lovely, middle aged, married with four kids and two dogs.

I opened the door and there was another note.

'Mae, this cannot continue. Either you accept the offer of one to one tutoring or you are off the course. Alan'

I sat up all night trying to fix my paper and I still couldn't see where I went wrong. One of the other students had sent me her paper via email, not to cheat, just to help me see where I was having issues. I opened the email and the first thing I noticed. The question was different. It was worded differently no wonder I was confused.

God I hate that arsehole!

Next morning.

"Mae, did you get my note?" he asked.

"I'll speak to you after class," I said to him and stormed to my desk.

At break time he tried to speak to me but I avoided him and thankfully my fellow students helped by crowding around a table and one even brought me a coffee, but come the end of the day I was going to have to face him.

I approached the desk.

"Mae, I assume you have taken my note seriously," he said nostrils flaring.

"I know why my paper is wrong. You gave me a different question to everyone else," I replied.

"Let's dispense with the pleasantries shall we. You are failing this class, this entire course and you are ignoring my attempts to help you."

"Yes, those are the facts but I will pass this course the same as everyone else if I am given the same questions. Here is your new paper based on the question you gave to every other student on the course." I put the paper on the desk. "I have to leave now as I have work. I ask that you refrain from leaving messages at my home as that is my private life and my husband objects to you obtaining our address from confidential records and using them to berate me in my own home. How would you like it if I turned up at your home and left notes for you calling you are a failure and threatening to kick you out of class if we didn't spend more time together, under the guise of tuition?"

I stormed off with my eyes wishing I had the head of an owl so I could give him evils as I left!