Chapter 28 MAE DAY

Unable to raise my chest to replace the breath just knocked from it, all I could hear was people screaming and running. Most running away but on set running towards me.

"Oh god... Oh no... Mae!" Lee said falling to his knees beside me.

I tried to move.

"No stay still don't move," he said quickly as he began to cry. "Somebody!" he called. "Quickly! Help!"

I could taste the blood in my throat.

"Mummy!" Suri called.

"Nooo, stay back. Look away!" Lee yelled.

"Mummy!" Suri screamed.

"Suri stay over there!" Lee called.

More feet...

"MAE!" Carla screamed. "Oh god... NO!" She began to scream crying hysterically. "Bowdie get help!"

"Mae," Lee said his tears dropping onto my face. "I don't think she's breathing."

"Suri run and fetch anyone who can heal from the party!" Carla yelled.

"She's not breathing," Lee sobbed.

"They can't hear over the music," she replied.

I felt him lifting me in his arms. "It's ok Mae I won't hurt you," he said as he carried my over towards the wedding party. "HELP!" he yelled above the music.

Figures were already running towards us.

"What happened?" One man asked.

"We heard her scream. We think she fell from the balcony," Lee replied.

"Put her down," the man urged.

Another joined him. Raising my hand he sniffed along the wrist. "She is in transition," he said.

"Lee, Move," his father yelled appearing. "Give them room."

Lots of people moving me gently, lifting me up and rushing me into the marquee to lay me on a cleared table with a white cloth.

"Hi Mae," April said appearing amongst the people.

"Ap..."

"No Mae don't go with her, stay here," Uncle voice called.

"Go with who?" Lee asked.

"She see's April," Uncle replied his eyes looking towards Lee sorrowfully.

"No April, please don't take her. Please. Mae stay with me," he begged.

My silk gown was torn off me by the men trying to help, people were sobbing and calls for more healers.

"He's nice isn't he," April said smiling at Lee who Bowdie was stood over with his hand on his shoulder supportively.

She was in her wedding dress. Glenn stood behind her looking down.

"Hi," I tried to say as I'd never met him before.

"MAE!" Uncle called. His voice distant. "MAE!" he yelled.

"Don't be scared," Glenn said.

My body began jolting like someone was shoving it.

"This was not the wedding I envisaged for you," April said looking around.

"MAE!" Uncles voice echoed in the distance.

"Time to go," Glenn whispered.

"You've got to get up now Mae," my sister called.

I could feel my chest rising with deep breaths but I wasn't taking them. It felt strange. My pelvis was burning. I wanted to go for a walk but couldn't stand. I needed to go with them. We have loads to catch up on.

"MAE!" Uncle called. "YOU ARE NOT GOING WITH THEM!"

"Awww it is tiny," my sister said holding a glowing orb in her hand.

"MUMMY!" Suri screamed. She was scared. Who was scaring her? I tried to think.

"Suri Grayson get out of here," Uncle yelled.

"I want my mummy. Mummy where are you?" she called sounding lost.

"Someone catch that child! This will be reported Suri Grayson," Uncle yelled.

"I'm the boss of me!" she yelled. "Arrggghhh nanny no!" I heard her say along with a slapping noise. She had been smacked. Who smacked my child? I will set Lee on them!

"Mae, don't be scared," Glenn repeated coming into view again. I stared at him, the same colour eyes as Lee but without the sorrow. "There is nothing to fear but fear itself."

I wondered where I had heard that before.

"Mae, shall we dance at your wedding?" my sister asked. They slow dancing as they stared in awe at the glowing orb she held. Was it a fairy?

"MUMMY!" Suri screamed. That babies crying too. I had best get up and go sort them out.

"You are a wonderful mother Mae but you were a terrible bride. What a waste of a good dress. Pull your shit together. I promised Lee better and he deserves it so do you," my sister called, seeming more distant. "We love you! Kiss the babies for us and we'll take care of this one for you."

What? What does she mean?

"Mae, Lee is calling you. Tell him hi, I love and miss them all. Tell him Chicken's don't lay lemons," Glenn said smiling but his eyes looked forlorn. "Don't be scared Mae," he repeared and shimmered. A lion stood next to my sister. My heart began to race.

"Come on you sexy beast," she said giving it a big kiss. "You know what they say about the size of a lions tail," she said winking at me before throwing her head back and laughing. Oh I had missed that laugh. "You are always with me," she said cupping her hands to her heart with the glow inside them. She looked teary. "Give him a chance and it will be wonderful," she said blowing me a kiss. "I love you!" she mouthed tears in her eyes as she waved and walked away with the lion cooing into her hand at the glow.

Everywhere grew dark like the world had been turned off. Everything silent, dark and still.

"Mae," Anton said appearing at my side. "You can't hang around here. It is getting cold."

"Panic at the disco," I replied.

"Yes, she is still here and confused," he said to his side as though talking to someone invisible.

"Mae, it's time to get up," Uncle called.

"Take my hand," Anton said offering it.

I shook my head and looked back in the direction my sister was in.

"Mummy, wake up," Suri called. I heard Willow crying.

"Suri is here again," Anton said. She has Willow with her.

"I am so done with that chid," Uncle growled. "Send Lee in to get her. She is in for it now."

"Mummy! Mummy where are you?" she called. I tried to looked around. "Call her Willow," she said and Willow gave out an attention seeking cry.

A huge growl roared around me.

"Daddy... I... ahhhhhh," Suri said before silence.

"She's ok, don't worry," Anton said as I tried to look around. "Check her head again," Anton said "It feels fuzzy. She isn't tuned in right." He touched my head like a doctor.

My eyes blurred and bulged.

"Her eyes," he said again I didn't think it was for my benefit.

"Ooops sorry about that Mae, of course," Uncle said like he had slipped up.

"Urghhhh, why are her eyes all..." Suri was silenced.

Pains started to shoot through my body.

"Here we go," Anton said cheerfully as he took my hand. The darkness shifted and a new one took its place.