Chapter 31 MAE DAY

Rema had helped me out of the bath as Lee was called to deal with Suri. I prayed he didn't turn into a lion and roar again. Rema assured me he wouldn't. Two minutes later a huge angry roar ripped through the house. I hid behind Rema in the bathroom terrified. Hearing running footsteps approach the bathroom, I used her as a shield.

"It's not me!" Lee called.

I peeked out from behind Rema. He was human. I hid again and closed my eyes like I was on a scary ride at the fun fair and would wait for it to be over.

"What has she done now?" Rema asked.

"Pissed my dad off," he said. "It's ok, Mae there are no animals in the house and they won't come in either." He was breathless, obviously from running to tell me it wasn't him.

Another roar shook the house.

"Stay with Lee, I go see what I can do to help," Rema said and disappeared before I could protest.

"Why is he shouting in the house?" I asked desperate to shout 'shut up' back at him.

"He's not, he is in the woods. I just told you they are not in the house," Lee replied.

"But it is shaking the house," I said taking my hands away from ears fully so I could hear.

"He is in the woods. Come see from the window," he said trying to lead me towards it. "You won't be able to see him just the tree shaking which shows which way the sound is coming from," he said.

"No way, I've had enough of cats and windows," I said. "Wait is Suri in the woods?"

"Yes," he replied and sounded worried.

"Go and get her!"

"I can't," he replied.

"Why not?" I asked feeling sick to the stomach with worry.

"I can't enter in this form and I promised I wouldn't...."

"Get in those woods right now Lee!" I snapped shoving him towards the door.

"I'd have to be a lion!" he protested as though I was asking him to do the impossible.

"Well 'lion up' before she gets eaten by something!" I said shoving him.

"Mae, I made a promise..."

"A broken promise is better than a broken, chewed up child now go and get her," I said running to the closed window and looking out in desperation.

I was met with the image of a huge black bear coming out of the woods with something dangling in its mouth.

"Ahhhh," I said jumping back. "Bear! I fucking hate bears... what is wrong with this place. Big bitey, roaring things..." Two seconds later I realised the thing dangling from its mouth was Bay. "Oh my god!" I sprinted to the door with some newfound energy. I was in total panic all I could think of was getting my baby back. I would be chewed in the process but the bear was giving up my baby!

Stairs were taken so quickly I nearly fell down them.

"Mae!" Lee called as he followed. "Wait!"

Wait... my children were in the woods. One was being hunted by a Lion and another was in a bears mouth... wait my arse!

I rushed the kitchen and out the back door in a flash. Eyes flicking from side to side looking for the baby stealing bear. I saw it about 20 feet away. I ran towards it.

"Haaaayyyy!" I yelled. "Get off my baby!"

I dropped its head to the floor and let the baby go before running back off into the woods. I sped over to a stunned looking Bay and swooped him up in my arms.