Chapter 25 MAE DAY

"Mae, wake up. It is time to get dressed," Carla called.

I sat up, everything felt distanced. Like when your ears pop and you can't hear, but it was everything around me not just my ears. Everything felt desensitised. I could remember why and how scared I had been but I wasn't feeling the fear.

I moved around on autopilot as people rushed me in and out of showers that I couldn't feel on my skin. Food I couldn't taste as I swallowed it. Hair dried but I felt not heat from the blower or irons.

"This is for you," Carla said handing me a box.

Inside was the garter belt my sister had given to Lee. I would recognise it anywhere as the lace was vintage, with blue ribbon threaded through it. I had scribbled 'I love you' on the ribbon but now instead of my picture, it now had one of my sister and her husband on their wedding day. Lovely I can take them with me down the aisle, was all I thought as I slide it over the top of my stocking clad leg.

I could hear the noise of guests out side on the lawn. The sound of champagne bottles popping.

"Time for the dress," Carla said as she helped me step inside. Fastened it up and helped me into the lace jacket to cover my arms.

I sat on a chair whilst the hairdresser fashioned my hair into a bun, placed the pearl tiara in front of it and Carla passed me some pearl earrings to match.

"How is she?" Uncle asked as he arrived. I was in the bathroom getting hair sprayed to death.

"Either you tuned her out too much or Lee's mother is meddling," Carla replied.

"Let me see," he said as I walked out of the bathroom. "WOW!" he replied. "Can I take a picture?"

I didn't care if he did or not.

"Smile," he said. I smiled for him to take the picture. "Thank you Mae I am just going to speak with someone and I will meet you downstairs," he said leaving quickly.

"It's time," Bowdie said appearing. "You look beautiful Mae," he said kissing my cheek.

"Thank you," I replied.

"Is she ok?" he asked his wife.

"If Zombie brides are the latest fashion, yeah," Carla replied sarcastically. "She hasn't mentioned the children this morning."

"Not good, not good at all," Bowdie said looking me up and down.

"Uncle is on it," she replied.

"Come on Mae, let me escort you down," he replied holding out an arm. "Are those Jimmy Choos?" he asked as I stepped into my shoes.

"No they are mine, not Jimmys," I replied.

"Oh god she totally out of it. She would love those shoes and didn't even hear what I said properly!" he said.

"I know!" Carla said "Here are the flowers," she said passing me a small bouquet of white flowers.

We walked down the stairs, flowers everywhere and tastefully arched in the doorway to disguise the missing door. Very fairytale.

"Just repeat the words and actions," Bowdie advised. "Not that it will be a problem for you in this state."

I heard the hush of people and a string quartet start to play music.

"Suri stay there, when the music changes you walk down the aisle and Mae you follow," he said walking away towards the little girl in the white dress.

"Mae, look at me," Uncle said. "Take a sip of this champagne. You need to toast your wedding day."

I took a sip and several more with his encouragement.

"I'll give that about half an hour to kick in," he said looking at me with concern.

"A bride smiles," Lee's mother commented as she stared at me with a baby in her arms.

"If you haven't stuck your beak in she wouldn't be in this state," Uncle snapped.

The music changed. "Pssst, Mummy we have to walk," the girl said.

Mummy... was talking to me? Oh well never mind lets get this over with. Beauty and the Beast was not as romantic in reality. I was about to marry a Lion. I hate Lions and bestiality was not what I had envisaged for my wedding night.