17. ten minutes

TEN MINUTES; six hundred seconds

TEN MINUTES; six hundred seconds. The short amount of time that Claudia and Remus were to spend alone together outside of the Room of Requirement.

Claudia didn't know why she felt slightly nervous. It was a strange dare to receive in the first place, to be alone with someone you barely knew out in the corridor. It might have been to get them caught, but then again it was Lily that initiated the dare, and she would never want that for the two of them. Realistically they would've at least shoved them in a broom-closet, but Claudia was still thankful that that wasn't the case.

It was also strange that she ended up out there with Remus Lupin of all people.

The nerves that she felt must have been an affect from the Firewhiskey she had sipped on throughout the night, as well as the awkward situation as a whole. Though, it was not that awkward as they left. Things were normally not that awkward between Remus and Claudia, at least not on the rare occasions they had been alone. It was rather comfortable most of the time, not perfect of course, but still not unsettlingly awkward.

The two sat down next to each other against the cold stonewall as Remus began to speak:

"Are you feeling better? After... you know", he said with a tone of concern.

"Yeah..." she said with an embarrassed look on her face. "I'm sorry about... that."

"What are you sorry for? You didn't do anything wrong", Remus said earnestly. "It's completely normal, Claudia."

Claudia. Why did her "lame" name suddenly sound so pretty?

"I guess", she mumbled as she fidgeted with her rings again.

"Hey", he said in a comforting tone as he shifted his whole body towards her. "It's fine, really. And if it ever happens again and you need help I'd be glad to be there and help you again. I'd do it a million times. As your friend."

Friend? Were we friends? When did that happen? She questioned.

Claudia looked up from her hands only to meet that comforting smile and inviting face, despite the scars and dark circles that lived on it.

"Thank you", she whispered as she pressed her lips together in somewhat of a tight smile.

Suddenly, Remus stood up and reached out his slightly shaky hand for Claudia to take.

"May I have this dance?"

Claudia didn't know what to say in that moment. Firewhiskey with a mix of unknown nerves and shaky hands called for a rather befuddled girl.

Saying yes would be a bit risky, even though she did just blow her chances of a peaceful Christmas holiday out of the way. Her brothers would be at the Slytherin party, the only remaining threat being Filch. But somewhere deep inside Claudia knew that she didn't mind getting caught if that meant spending detention with a boy that made her feel safe.