112. secrets & hospital beds

CLAUDIA HAD NO IDEA what Ingannamorte's "club" even was

Sure, it was a gathering of the most "talented" witches and wizards at the school. It had to do with defending oneself from the dark arts and learning advanced magic, and Remus had explained that it was a different story every week.

But Claudia still had no idea.

After finishing the so-called "class" Claudia had come to the conclusion that Ingannamorte's group was nothing like Slug Club. Slug Club pretty much just consisted of Slughorn having conversations with his favourite students and boasting them further on. It was a social situation, and Ingannamorte's club was not.

Well, for the most part. Of course, with it being Ingannamorte, it felt like a long conversation between friends. That's what her way of teaching consisted of; jokes, questions and discussions.

The whole evening started off with something that caught Claudia completely off guard. It started of with biscuits and tea.

She was surprised to find several people she knew in the room - Lily, Henry and even Rosamund - though, it was a small gathering nonetheless.

The girl sat in between Lily and Remus, sipping on her tea as she discreetly glanced at Henry and Rosamund, trying to see if they looked at each other, which they didn't.

After the rather awkward, yet bearable, teatime Ingannamorte got to a start. She spoke in a way that many of their previous teachers didn't - because she didn't just talk about defensive spells, but how to identify an enemy and how to notice their next move.

She did this in Defence Against the Dark Arts too; but Claudia could tell that this time around it was more real. As if she was preparing them for something.

And Claudia was right.

"Ms. Maple," Ingannamorte said as the students began to leave. "Would you mind staying behind for a moment?"

"Oh, yeah, sure professor," said Claudia, saying goodbye to Lily, and then Remus - who at first insisted on staying but left since Claudia said that she would be fine.

And, besides, the full moon was nearing and Claudia knew that he needed all the rest he could get before that.

"So, how did you like it?" Ingannamorte asked with a bright smile, cleaning up her desk as she spoke.

"It was fun," said Claudia. "And interesting."

"I'm glad you say so. I must tell you, it's an honour to have you here."

Claudia at first felt complimented, but then that face of happiness turned into a frown. "Why do you say that?"

"Because you're a very talented witch, of course. And you have potential. A great potential, let me tell you."

"What do you mean?"

"I think you're bound to do great things, Ms. Maple," she smiled. "I can feel it."