96. somewhere in her memory

TO BE THE DAUGHTER of Anne Rowle had always been a blessing in every way to Claudia, and that was extra clear during Christmastime

Anne would always put in all the effort in the world to make sure that Claudia's christmases would be perfect. She would find the perfect gifts, the perfect tree and the perfect decorations. She would make snowmen, bake gingerbread cookies and decorate the house with, and for, her daughter.

The house would constantly be covered in glistening lights and red decorations. It would smell just like a Christmas tree in every room, and candles would be lit everywhere.

But, what the house looked like or how the gifts were wrapped wasn't the only thing Claudia was thinking about the moment she first took in the home that was Potter manor.

Claudia felt like she went back five years in time, and suddenly she was eleven years old coming home for the very last Christmas she would spend with her mum.

As always, everything was perfect.

Claudia had her mum. They would read, watch movies, listen to Christmas music and bake.

Claudia had her mum, and absolutely everything was perfect.

And, as she went back to being 16 and back to standing in a room with a Christmas tree, candles, a warm fireplace, family photos and presents under the tree, she felt it all coming back to her.

Because, for the past three christmases, Claudia had been all alone. In a house with no decorations, no warmth and no love.

And two out of those three christmases had been spent in physical agony as she was either in a pool of blood or recovering from the Cruciatus curse.

But, somewhere in her memory, she remembered just what a perfect Christmas felt like. And, she knew when she came inside the Potter manor that she was bound to experience it again.

"Wow," the girl said airily as James and Sirius immediately went to go pry on their gifts under the tree. "This is beautiful."

"Thank you, dear," said Euphemia proudly, appearing next to the girl with a smile, only for it to drop at the sight of the slightly solemn expression on Claudia's face. "Is something wrong?"

"Nothing's wrong," Claudia said, turning to the woman with a genuine smile despite her slightly teary eyes. "Everything's perfect. Actually perfect. Thank you so much for having me."

"Of course, sweetheart," she said, placing her hand on Claudia's arm.

Euphemia was surprised to find the girl in front of her flinching slightly.

"Are you sure that nothing's wrong?" Euphemia asked again, removing her hand.

"I'm sure," Claudia smiled. "I'm just a little jumpy sometimes, is all. It's nothing personal, don't worry about it."