Talk

(Not edited)

Melissa's pov

I was sitting on the curb, reading a book beside Enid. She rarely ever talks and she's really pretty, she's hard to read or understand, and she looks depressed, but I'm not gonna ask her if she is or not.

I looked up and saw Carl, dad, Maggie and rick walk out of ricks house.

"Where're ya goin'?" I asked. Carl jumped, causing the group to laugh.

"Oh, on-on a run." Carl said, fixing his gun.

"Okay... For what?" I asked. Enid looked up.

"We need...stuff..?" He said. I laughed, standing up.

"Okay..." I chuckled, hugging him. He hugged me and said bye before leaving with the others through the gates.

"What's his problem?" She mumbled. I shrugged.

"I'm gonna head inside, Kay?" I asked. She didn't answer, so I walked into my house. I didn't see dad anywhere, so I walked back out. I walked into ricks house, remembering nobody was there. Carol was gone out doing whatever job she was assigned to do.

Everyone was given jobs here. Rick and michone are constables, carol is a cook or something, Tara, Noah, and Glenn are people who go on runs, Rosalyn kinda babysits the kids with Damien sometimes, and I don't know what anybody else does. Dad doesn't have a job, and me and Carl are kinda just there.

I decided to walk over to Jessie's house. She has a little boy named same who I babysit sometimes.

I got to her house and she opened the door.

"Hey, Melissa. Uh, Sam is gone out with his brother somewhere, so uh, want me to send him your way when they get back?" She asked. They really don't know how dangerous this is, do they?

"Oh, uh, no, don't worry about it." I smiled.

"You'll see him at the welcoming part later tonight." She smiled.

"Welcoming party?" I asked.

"Yea, we thought we'd let you settle in and let Carl wake up from his coma before we had the party for you, so we are having it tonight. See you there?" She asked. I nodded.

"Sure. You'll see me, but don't worry if I'm a little late, my dad isn't very social." I shrugged. She laughed and nodded. I smiled and walked away.

"God, this isn't what I planned on doing today." I mumbled.

"You're going to the party?" Someone asked. I looked beside me and saw the older boy(by like a year, I just keep forgetting his name, he's also Jessie's son.) standing beside me and walking.

"I guess." I shrugged. "How long have you been stuck on this side of the walls?" I asked.

"A while." He shrugged.

"Four years?" I asked. "All five?" I assumed.

"About four years, why?"

"You only spent a year out there? When it was actually considered good still?" I asked, he nodded.

"I was with my parents, too, why?" He asked.

"I was out there for all the five years this has been happening. I was alone for the first couple weeks, I was shot and stabbed multiple times, I was beaten, kidnapped, starved, attacked, threatened, alone, scared, scavenging, for five years. I never stayed at one place with my group for too long because everything in this world just gets taken away from you. Don't think your staying here in Alexandria and being safe is permanent. Because I promise you, one day it will be all gone, and me and my group will be the only ones left to say I told you so. Because nobody else would have seen it coming. We are the only ones who are educated enough to know how to survive." I ranted.