What if

•not edited•

I sat in the corner, huddled up in a ball. We've been in here for three weeks. Three weeks and none of us know what to do.

What if we all die in here? What if they hurt us? What are they gonna do to us?

I was snapped out of my thoughts when the train cart door opened. Someone was thrown in and the door shut again.

I stood up, ignoring carls and my dad's protests, and walked over to the person standing at the other side of the cart.

"Melissa?" I heard Kayla ask. I walked closer and saw Kayla, beat up and bruised and bloody. I began to cry as I ran up to her and hugged her.

"Why are you in here?" I asked, my Boise hoarse due to the fact that I haven't talked in three weeks. Not a word.

"I used to live here. I escaped. They found me and brought me here. They don't like it when you disobey them. They beat me up. They brought me here." She said, stepping away from the hug. "What are you doing here?" She asked the group.

"We came here for sanctuary. We shot at one of his men-"

"Nah, that was all you, rick." My dad said.

"And they brought us here. We've been here for three weeks. They said they're gonna take Melissa, kill us. Probably kill Melissa too." Rick said.

"But they're not taking her. Not on my watch." Dad informed. I rolled my eyes.

"Don't you think that if they were gonna take me, they'd do it by now?" I asked, annoyed that they're still talking about it.

"Melissa, we're just worrying about you." Maggie said. I scoffed.

"That's a first." I mumbled so only I could hear. I sighed and sat down.

"Mel, what's up?" Kayla asked, sitting down beside me.

"Just... Something happened before we got here... A few things, actually... Still hurts I guess." I shrugged.

"What happened?" She asked.

"I met these two people... One was a bitch, though. He died. Another was a girl, seventeen years old. She died, I had to kill her." I sighed. She looked at me.

"You're not telling me something else." She said.

"We stopped at a truck, I fell asleep and woke up to men aiming guns at all of us. Someone pulled me out of the car and tried to...but we killed them..." I sighed. She hugged me.

"It's alright. Were gonna get out of here." She said.

"I hope so." I sighed.

+++

"Carl, move over." I said. He moved to the side and I sat down beside him.

"You think we're getting out of here?" I asked, resting my chin on his shoulder and looking at him.

"I know we are." He smiled.

"But it's been four weeks since we were put in here... Almost two month, you really think we're getting out of here alive?" I asked, biting my lip to stop myself from crying.

"I'm not gonna let you die. I'm gonna make sure you get out of here alive. Were gonna be fine." He said softly. I nodded.

"Carl?" I asked

"Yea?" He looked at me

"I love you." I said.

"I love you too." He smiled.