My Fault

I'm so sorry about how short this is

Melissa

I walked down the stairs and saw Rick pacing in front of the door.

"What's wrong, Rick?" I asked, leaning against the wall and looked at him.

"Just trying to think of how we can get out of this mess." He said. I sighed and nodded, biting on the inside of my cheek.

"There's nothing to do. We're completley surrounded, Rick. We just gotta wait it out." I said. He shrugged.

"I was gonna hop over the walls." I said, making him look up at me. I nodded. "I had one foot over, too. Just had to swing my other leg over and jump. I could've gotten dad, Glenn, Nicholas, Enid, Sasha, and tyreese. That's six more people to fight. But nope, I was talked out of it. And now they're gonna come back to nothing but a torn down alexandria and hundreds and hundreds of walkers, including us." I said. He let out a breath.

"We are not dying." He said sternly. I stared blankly at him and shrugged.

"Why not? Deanna's up there dying right now."I could see him getting redder and redder.

"What, you think that's my fault?" He said, the tone of my voice sent a chill down my spine. He's never talked to me like that.

"Who else's fault would it be?" I said lowly. And that's when he snapped. I didn't know what happened until my back his the wall and his forearm was on my chest, pinning me. My hands automatically went out to my sides and I stared at him. I glanced down and saw his hand hovering over his gun.

"Don't you ever question my leadership here again!" He wasn't yelling, but it did make my hands ball up onto fists and my eyes shut.

"You're going mad, Rick. Stop it!" I yelled, opening my eyes. His eyes were right in front of mine. God, they look just like Carl's.

"God dammit, Rick, enough!" I yelled, forcefully pushing him back just enough to make him stumble. "You're making the wrong decision here! We do not wait this out, unless you want to get everyone in this house killed! I thought you'd know that by now." I said. I glanced back down at his hand and it was resting on his gun.

"Do you have a better idea, Melissa? I'd love to hear it." He said harshly. I shook my head, my own hand resting on my gun.

"No, when I come up with one I'll be sure to let you know." I glared. He scoffed and nodded, looking away.

"Yeah. I'm sure you will." He spat. I sighed and my shoulders slumped back.

"When did you become like this? You're not Rick. Not anymore." I said. He looked at me.

"I haven't changed. I'm still me." He defended, his voice quiet. I looked to the ground.

"The old Rick never talked to me like that, he never pinned me against a wall, ready to shoot me. You're dangerous now. I don't know this Rick." I said. I turned around and took a few steps away, looking back and seeing him with his head low.

"I'm just trying to do what's right. I'm trying to save everyone. I'm trying to be your leader, but I don't know how to do that anymore. Not without getting blood on my hands. You can't survive without getting blood on your hands. So no, I didn't change. The world did." He said, looking up at me. I bit the inside of my cheek and nodded.

"You're right. I don't even know how I am anymore, either." I shook my head and turned back around, walking away.

+++

I've learned that things will happen, no matter how much you don't want them to. No matter how much you try to stop something from happening, the inevitable always happens. Sure, it sucks, but once you learn that, it doesn't seem to suck much anymore.

One day I just grew up. I went from this little girl who hunted deer with her dad and fished with her uncle and walked around thinking life was all happy and good, but one day I changed. I turned into this mature teenager who wears her boyfriend's hoodie and hunts with her dad to bring back some food to the group just so we will stay alive, not for the sport, and only seeing my uncle in memories now because he was murdered. and now I'm walking around knowing that life will not get any better. Death is gonna happen, it's inevitable. I'm gonna die. I don't know when or how, but I am. And I've been so close to death multiple times before, but knowing one day you'll never see anyone you love again. . . It's scary to think about.

Staring out of this window into the hundreds of walkers, only a wall separating us, I realized that maybe death isn't so far away. Today could be the last day I live, but it could also be just another day of surviving. It's just about the odds. The odds aren't looking so great for me right now.

I heard light footsteps walk in and someone sat on the couch beside me.

"What're you doing?" Carl asked, putting his hand on mine.

"Staring out into the abyss." I mumbled, keeping my gaze out of the window.

"Don't stare too long or it'll stare back at you." He said after a moment of just quiet. I quickly turned to look at him.

"Oh, it has." I said, looking back out the window. "It has." I nodded my head. Carl stood up, bringing me up with him. I looked up at him and saw he had a faint smile on his lips.

"Why are you smiling? We're gonna die soon." I said, a frown on my face. He had a sparkle in his eye and he shook his head.

"As long as you're with me, nothing bad is gonna happen to you." He said quietly. I shook my own head.

"That's a lie. You can't protect me." I said, my voice quiet.

"Maybe not all the time, but damn, am I gonna try." He said, the small smile coming back to his face. I leant up and kissed him, my hands resting on his waist.

"Do you think the world is gonna get better?" I asked quietly, my voice cracking in the middle of the sentence. He looked at me and bit his lip, thinking.

"I want to hope it will. What do you think?" He asked. I shook my head, then shrugged.

"This is their world now." I said, looking out the window at the walkers wandering the streets that used to be deemed safe. "We're just living in it."

_________

GUYS GUYS I PUT A MOVIE REFERENCE IN THIS CHAPTER IF YOU KNOW IT ILL BE SOSO HAPPY

The last time I've updated was December 30th and it's now January 14th I'm so sorry for not updating I've had huge writers block with all of my stories lately and I'm trying to make up some new stories and I've just been a mess with all that lately. I've also been stressing about exams coming up and yeah my life's a mess atm thank you if you still even read this book

I'm thinking of ending the book at chapter 100 but maybe it'll be sooner I'm not too sure, I may even go last 100 chapters. I really don't ever wanna end this book. I love Carl and Melissa's story so much, but eventually it will have to end and I actually already have an ending I just don't know if I wanna use it and yeah...

I love you guys, see you next time