I understand now

I woke up to a loud alarm coming from the big room.

I shot up and noticed it was morning. I ran to the big room, but ran into a glass door. I fell to my butt but quickly stood back up.

I started banging on the glass. I looked at the timer and it said five minutes.

I understand what that means now.

We only have five minutes till we get blown up.

"NO!" I screamed. I banged and kicked the glass but it wouldn't even make a crack.

"Melissa!" Dad screamed. He ran over to the glass. I looked up at him.

Daryl's POV

I ran over to the door. She looked up at me. Her eyes were glossy and fear was written all over her face.

"Mel, I want you to get out of here right now! Grab your shit and get out of this building!" She shook her head.

"She can't." Jenner said. I looked back at him. "All the doors are locked. I told you that once the doors close, there's no opening them."

"Were not gonna stay here and get blown up!" Glenn yelled.

"That's the thing, you don't feel it. It takes a second... A-a-a millisecond. You feel no pain. It's fast. Better than being ripped apart out there."

"Were not letting our kids stay here!" Lori yelled.

"Isn't it nicer, kinder... To hold your kids and loved ones in your arms and wait for the time to be up?"

"Yea, my daughter isn't even in here with me! She's probably scared out of her mind and I know you ain't gon' wanna do nothin' 'bout it, but I swear, open those doors or I'll blow your brains in!" I took out my gun and pointed it at Edwin.

Melissa's POV

I saw the clock. Only two minutes left until we get blown to pieces and I'm not even in the same room as my daddy. I sat down on the wall and hugged my knees.

"Dixons don't cry, dixons don't cry, dixons don't cry" I whispered. I heard the yelling become more clear and a pair of arms picked me up.

"C'mon! We gotta get outta here!" Everyone yelled. I was placed back onto my feet and I started running. I ran into my room and grabbed my daddy's and my crossbows. I ran back to the group, noticing that the window was already smashed open and everyone was running back to the cars.

"MELISSA!" Rick screamed. I only have a couple seconds to get the hell outta here. I jumped from the window and started running. I heard the explosion and I went flying. I fell to the ground and hit my head.

I blacked out almost immediately. I quickly regained consciousness and started crawling away from the blaze that the explosion caused.

I was picked up by my daddy and he carried me back to the R.V. I blacked out again in his arms.

...

I slowly opened my eyes and noticed I was lying on a bed.

I slowly sat up and looked around the room I was in. I stood up and walked out.

"Hey, Melissa. How you feelin'?" I woman with short, brown hair asked me.

I slowly backed up. "Where am I? Where's my dad?"

"Your groups either outside or upstairs. I'm Maggie. Your group brought you here. You had a concussion and a broken arm. My daddy helped you. You guys will be staying here for a bit." She smiled. I nodded and walked outside.

"Melissa! You're up!" Lori and carol walked up to me.

"Y-yea. Where's my dad?" I asked.

"He-he went to find Merle..."

"W-what?!"

"He's gonna be fine-"

"You don't know Merle. He'll either kill dad or come back and beat me again! I don't wanna see him!" I whispered. Carol hugged me and I cried into her shoulder. She knows what it's like to be beaten and abused. Her husband punched her right in front of us. In front of Sophia.

A car drove up to the house. I ran down and hugged my dad.

"Who's that?" I asked, gesturing towards a teenage boy, probably about 18, walking out of the truck.

"his names Randall. Found 'Im in town."

"You ain't just gonna keep Him here, are ya?" I crossed my arms. Rick shrugged his shoulders.

"I don't know."

"Ya don't know? Rick, aren't you supposed to be the leader? You're the sherif in town. You're supposed to make the decisions"

"Melissa..."

"I don't suppose you have any ideas, little girl?" Shane taunted. I raised an eyebrow.

"I do. Tie him up and lock him in the barn. Simple." I shifted my weight onto my right foot. I shifted my gaze from Shane onto Randall.

"Um... We- we can't." Glenn chimed in. We all looked at Glenn.

"What?"

"We can't put him in the barn."

"And why is that?" Dad asked. Glenn sighed.

"There's walkers in the barn." He admitted.