The Nations Meet

The bell rang again, signaling that the day was over. You stood from your desk and gathered your papers. You neatly put them in your backpack and walked out of the classroom to go downstairs. You didn't have any reason to open your locker, so you only walked past it to get to the front doors to leave the building.

   ' I have to go to work today. I need to get home quick and change clothes. '

You stepped out of the building and walked quickly to get to the gate to the campus and leave. 

   " Hey, what's up Light? We were just gonna head down-"

   " Sorry, I'm a little busy today. "

I looked up in the direction I heard Light talking, and I walked up to him.

   " Well, that's not like you. " I said.

   " What's not like me? " He asked, raising a brow at you.

   " Usually when someone asks you something you stop and talk to them unless they're walking with you like I am right now. You always have good manners and stop. But this time you just kept going and you even interrupted him. Even when you're busy you stop to tell them no. You doing okay? "

   " I'm fine, there's just a lot on my mind. I've got some studying I need to do and I want to make sure I understand everything for a test. "

   " You'll be fine, and like I said a while ago, you need to take a break or your brain will explode. "

   " You're starting to sound like a mom. "

   " Well, I do because you don't take care of yourself. You obviously get enough hours of sleep because you stay awake in class, but then it comes to how much you eat and how much time you get away from studying to relax that honor's student brain of yours. "

   " Trust me I relax. I just have a lot to do everyday. "

   " Why don't we go somewhere one day after school? Go and get some food or walk around the park to get your mind away from the books. "

   " Oh, I can't. "

   " Why not? "

   " I have a small window of time from when I get home to going to bed that I use to study. I can't put my studies aside-"

   " Even for one day? "

   " Maybe on the weekend we could. "

   " I'll call you on Saturday to see. And I will show up at your house to drag you out to relax if I have to. "

   " Alright, agreed. Don't you have work today? "

   " Yeah, I do. So, I better get going if I want to make it on time. "

   " Have a good time at work. "

   " Thanks, Light. Have fun studying. "

You started running off to get to your apartment and change, leaving Light and his hidden shinigami behind. Ryuk felt curious as he flew behind Light. 

   " Who was that? She seemed observant of you hmm? "

   " That's Y/n. We've been friends since our freshman year has started. And yes, she is very observant so I've gotta be careful around her. "

   " Even your best friend can't know about you killing people huh? "

   " I can't have anyone looking into it, not even her. She'll figure it out to quickly and I can't have her knowing what I'm doing. I don't want to kill her. "

   " Because you like her? "

   " Because she's innocent. "

Light turned down the opposite direction you ran and started walking home. You, on the other hand, made it to your apartment and started changing clothes like you were a magician. When you changed, you found your badge on the counter, and you ran out of the door with a jacket. You locked the door and put your phone and key into your pocket. You flagged down a cab to take you to the National Police Agency and National Public Safety Commission building. Once you reached the building, you ran inside, on time for your shift. As you walked to the front desk, you took notice that everyone was running around in a hectic manner. You sat down in your chair at the front desk, and a friend of yours approached the desk. You smiled up at them, and they showed you a toothy smile.

   " Hey, Matsuda. Why is everyone around here acting so strange? "

   " You don't know? "

   " You know I don't find anything out until the day of. "

   " Today representatives from other nations are going to be meeting and discussing the recent death number of criminals. It's the ICPO they're meeting here in Japan about the murders. You've been paying attention around here and on the news haven't you? "

   " I have, I was curious about that too. I honestly thought it was a type of disease, but I guess not. I don't know how a single person could do this. "

   " That's what we're discussing today, and I get to be apart of it! " He said with a wide smile.

   " You did tell me that you were going with Mr. Yagami, didn't you? I bet you're excited to be apart of the process. "

   " I am, especially with Mr. Yagami. I'll let you know what I figure out when I get out. "

   " I bet that they tell you to not share information when you leave. "

   " Yeah, but you always figure out what is said in the meetings, even when you're not there. I don't know how but you find out everything. "

   " I'm just observant, a good listener, and I have a hell of a good memory. "

   " So, what will you do while we're in the meeting? "

   " I'm going to go to the back and organize more files. "

   " You mean read them? "

   " Why not read about the person you're filing in a cabinet with many others? They're all different and there's plenty of copycats with flaws in their killings and I like spotting it out along with where they messed up and got caught. "

   " You could be a good detective one day, you know. "

   " Planning on it. Now you better get to that meeting, it should start any minute now. "

   " Right. I'll see ya! "

   " Bye Matsuda. "

You waved at him as you stood from the front desk and walked through the building to get to the room with all of the files. Every day new files made their way into the room, and you would read over the cases along with the old ones. Especially if there was a copycat killer. You liked the idea of being a detective and busting criminals and figuring out why they do the things they're doing, but the hot topic in everyone's mind, even yours, is who was killing all of the criminals without touching them.