The How and Who

' Alright, here we go. '

The news broadcast had started, and Light had already contacted Namikawa. Now all you had to do was wait for Higuchi to react. You stood in the main room, with Light, Misa, and Ryuzaki. The chain was gone from Light's wrist, and you were glad that it was gone.

   " So, you're saying one of those people is Kira, right? "

   " Yes. I've got a lot of evidence to prove it, too. "

Matsuda's voice was distorted, but he was still behind the screen. So you couldn't see his face, only a shadow of his figure. 

   " One of them was killed by Kira and now there are only seven left. The man who died was Mr. H. Mr. H wanted to leave the meetings and was killed by Kira because of that. "

A few things happened on the set, and Matsuda ducked as his screen fell to the floor. He showed his face to the camera and looked frightened. People were running around on the screen to hide his face and have the screen put back up. You felt pride swell in you because Matsuda was being fearless. They put the screen back up and continued with the interview.

   " Sir, we are terribly sorry for that accident. Are you all right? We can stop if you want. "

   " No. I knew I was going to be in danger going into this. This is for the sake of justice. So, I'll see it through to the end even if it means my death. "

A few seconds later, Misa's phone started to ring. You turned towards her, and she picked up her phone, looking at the caller ID. 

   " It's him. "

She looked up at you, and you nodded to her. She didn't answer his call and set her phone in her lap. Instead, she nodded back at you, and your attention went back to Matsuda.

   " To be honest, I've been debating for a long time whether or not I should make this announcement. But now that I'm here, I know I've done the right thing in coming forward. "

   " Kira's identity will be announced soon. Stay tuned to Sakura TV. "

The live feed blackened before going to commercial. Coincidentally it was Misa's commercial for lipstick. Misa stood up and walked towards you. You patted her on the shoulder, and she smiled at you. Mr. Yagami called Ryuzaki, and Ryuzaki answered before eating one of the chocolates in front of him.

   " Ryuzaki, Mogi is in position in front of Yoshida Productions. He's just received a call from Higuchi. "

   " Yes, it's time for phase two. Everything's as planned. "

Unknown to Higuchi, you had monitored his conversation with Mogi. Mr. Yagami sent the recordings to Ryuzaki and played them. Mogi was posing as someone from Misa's agency, so he would be the person to contact next to get a hold of Misa, to kill Matsuda.

   " Oh, Mr. Higuchi, a pleasure to hear from you. I'm sorry but Misa Misa is taking a much-needed vacation right now. She should be back by, oh, tomorrow morning though. You can reach her then. "

   " I'm asking you where she is now. "

   " Well, that's private information. She's requested that no one know where she is. I'm very sorry. I'll have her contact you tomorrow, first thing. "

   " Do you know if Misa's former manager was an entertainer at some point? "

   " Come again? "

   " I'm talking about Taro Matsui. "

   " Oh. I was only recently hired so I don't know much about him. If you need some information I can let you talk to someone from the office--I just remembered, everyone's in Okinawa at the moment. You could try calling the president, though. "