The Meaning of Justice

Everything was tense in the Serial Murder Investigation HQ. People wanted to leave after figuring out that L had brought twelve FBI agents to Japan for the investigation behind their backs. And in the end, they were all killed by Kira. You could practically feel the tension in the room, and you didn't want to be the first person to break it.

   " We now know that Kira doesn't just target criminals. He'll kill anyone who opposes him. It's quite possible that we may all be killed by Kira. Think of your own lives, your families, and all the others you'd be leaving behind. If anyone wants to leave this investigation, now is the time. You won't be demoted if you choose not to stay. You have my word. But if you're not absolutely sure then we don't need you. You have to be willing to fight against him, even if that means making the ultimate sacrifice. That is all. " Mr. Yagami said, lowing his head to stare at his desk.

   ' So, this is where we separate those who are loyal to the investigation and those who are not. Who trust L and don't. '

You had remembered a certain conversation from earlier that day at school with Light.

( Flashback )

   " Y/n, my father told me and my family last night that he is currently in charge of the Kira Investigation. "

   " He did? " You asked after swallowing your food and your eyes slightly widening. 

Light set his food down on the small table that sat in between you and Light. He looked down at his food for a second before looking up at you and connecting eyes. For once, you found your shoulders tense up around Light with his gaze on you. It felt like he was reading you like a book. He leaned forward on the small round table with his eyes never leaving yours.

   " I want you to tell me if you're working on the investigation too. "

   " Why would I work on the investigation, Light? I don't hold a permanent position there, I file all of the information in a back room filled with tons of files about killers, and I work the front desk. Does any of that tell you that I would be suited to work on the Kira Investigation? "

   " Because my father told me to convince you to quit the investigation. "

   ' Damn it, Mr. Yagami. '

   " He pulled me aside and said that you were working on this case too, and he wanted me to try and convince you that you should leave. Since Kira isn't just going after criminals but people who oppose him. "

   " I can't do that. I can't leave. "

   " Why can't you leave? "

You sighed and placed your hands on the table. Your fingers intertwined with each other, and you leaned forward, not feeling comfortable about talking in public about the subject.

   " Because, in order to protect those I love and consider close, I have to fight against what could potentially harm them. "

   " Were they criminals? "

   " No. "

   " Are they opposing Kira? "

   " Not that I'm aware of. "

   " Then, what is there to protect them from? You just said that he's killing criminals as well as those who are opposing him. Y/n we're about to graduate high school and start our lives in college. . .I have confidence in you and I won't talk you into leaving because of how stubborn you are. But I'm worried for you. I already promised my father that if anything ever happened to him, that I would catch Kira and that was already too much to stomach and think about. I didn't want to promise him that and I don't want to promise you that because I don't want to deal with the thought that something could happen to you and my father. " Light said, with his mood slowly diminishing and becoming sad.