Ending: L Lawliet

' I need to go check my mailbox. '

You entered your apartment building after a long day at work. Today you closed the case for Kaoru Kobayashi. He was a local newspaperman who kidnapped a little girl and killed her. You finally captured him before he could kidnap another child. He was tried and was given the death sentence. You walked downstairs to the hotel's basement to get to your PO box. You started looking through your keys to find the right one to open the box. 

   ' So much has changed since Ryuzaki closed the case. It feels weird walking around the streets again without thinking about Kira. '

The Kira Case had closed some time ago. Higuchi was convicted, and he couldn't claim innocence against L. So, he was guilty and sentenced to the death penalty for all of Kira's crimes. After the fact, the Death Notes were delivered back to you, with a note from L asking if you would give them back to the shinigami. You agreed and met Rem and Ryuk at the top of the Task Force building. You also brought Ryuk a bag of apples. They both took the Death Notes and left with a goodbye. You never saw them again, and you never saw L, ever since he left that day at the Task Force building. There was no way to contact him because he sent the notebooks in the mail but from a random address, and he always used burn phones. You had lost all contact. L went back to his old ways. He was never seen again, and his appearance disappeared from the public. L would come back to help if it was a worldwide emergency, but nothing of such significant proportion has happened, so he has remained in silence. Like a shadow, he lingered. He would always be there to protect the world's people, but he would wait until he was needed.

   ' I wish there was still a way for us to contact him, but I know that's impossible. '

Mr. Yagami had used the building to his advantage. The NPA has claimed the building and uses it for the new investigation group. Light was the head of the investigation group, with Mogi as his right-hand man. Matsuda stayed with Mr. Yagami in the NPA building and would prepare to be in the field. Aizawa kept his position, but he would visit the others when he could. You graduated from college and took up a position in the NPA, but you were part of another investigative team. There were five teams in total of investigators with their share of officers. You had a team you worked with and had success in every case. Misa was a star in lights, and her carrier skyrocketed. She was famous and flaunted her smile every chance she got.

   ' It's weird not being with the old Task Force. '

You found your key and opened your box. Many letters were in your mailbox, waiting to be taken out and read. You took all of the; notes and took the elevator to your apartment. You took your shoes off and read through them one by one. Most of them were letters sent to you about the closing of the investigation, and another note had your check inside from the NPA. 

   " What's this? "

The last letter you had yet to look at had a random address on the corner. You opened the letter and took the paper out, finding a plane ticket. You started reading through its contents.

Dear Izumi Yuka,

Hey, Izumi. It's Hideki Ryuga! I haven't talked to you in a bit and thought a letter would be the best way to communicate. Guess I'm still a child in some way. Anyways, I'm guessing you've been working hard over in Japan. I haven't seen you in weeks, and I want you to come to visit!

I can't come to visit you because of work, but I know you've got some time off. You may not like the weather here too much since it's not what you're used to, but Holmes said that you would be fine and that he would pay for your travel. He misses you too, Izumi. The ticket should have come with the letter, but I would check. I don't even know if I have the address right; you might have to look at the front for me and tell me if it is. If it's right then, I found you!