Late Nights and New Assignments

" Y/n you have school tomorrow, you should go home and sleep. "

   " With all due respect, Mr. Yagami, I'm fine. It's only eight right now and I don't usually sleep until eleven. "

   " That's no excuse. "

   " I'm part of this investigation now, so I need to be here for these meetings. Please just don't worry about me for right now. "

Mr. Yagami sighed, realizing he wouldn't get you to go home. Mr. Yagami sat in the front of the room as people started filling the room. When everyone was in the room, they looked ready to talk about what was going on. You were in a room that was named 'Serial Murder Investigation HQ.' Here is where the Kira Investigation would be worked with among the many members in the room. The room was filled with people ready to help. There were tables with computers and regular tables that everyone was sharing to figure out who the killer was. You sat beside Matsuda in the room at a regular table. The blinds were shut so no one would be distracted by the night sky or the traffic outside. 

   " All right. Let's start with the tip line reports. "

   " Yes sir. " One detective answered, standing up.

   " Up to this point, we've received 3,029 responses about the murders via telephone and e-mail. Most of these have been curious citizens and prank calls, but there are fourteen people who claimed to either know Kira or who have seen him. All fourteen accounts were followed up on and carefully documented. However, nobody could provide any information that wasn't already publicly available. And lastly, this week there were additional twenty-one people who called in claiming to be Kira. " The agent continued.

   ' They're protecting his identity by doing this. They might not realize that a joke like this is actually protecting the killer. If they keep calling like this we won't be able to take this hotline seriously and it'll be a waste. '

   " We didn't want to rule anything out. So we followed standard procedure and created files for all twenty-one of them. "

   " Uh huh. All right. On to the victim reports. "

   " Yes sir. "

The agent that gave the first report sat down and folded his notes. Another agent across the room stood up and folded a few papers over the top, and started reading his notes.

   " Upon further investigation, we have confirmed that information of the heart attack victims was in fact publicly available in Japan immediately prior to their deaths. Also, "

I could see the man's gaze turn away from his notes and to the mysterious man behind him. Watari, the person who presented L at the Nation meeting, is in this room with us, but he was holding a laptop on the table. The laptop showed the famous detective's signature L, meaning he was listening to us.

   " Also, concerning L's request that we investigate the time of death for each victim, we found that all of them occurred between the hours of four pm and two am on weekdays, local time, with sixty-eight percent of them occurring between eight pm and twelve am. Weekends and holidays appeared to be the exception to this rule as the times of deaths vary much more widely than during the week. "

The agent sat down, and you began to wonder about the information that was presented tonight. It all connected to when Kira would perform his killings and you knew that whoever Kira was, he was a student or someone with a job. They would have to work during the working hours, but when they were home after three, they could start killing. Your thinking was interrupted by L speaking.

   " That information is extremely relevant for us. It suggests that, given the times of death, our suspect could very well be a student. "

   ' Why not someone who has a regular paying job? That is also an option, so what counts it out in his mind? '