To Trust

After a while, more and more people started to leave the room. The numbers were slowly dropping into the single digits. Then when no one else had left after five minutes, it was decided that this was the new task force. You felt proud seeing that Matsuda had stayed in the room, and he didn't leave. He might have a child-like spirit and attitude, but he had a good heart, and it warmed yours to see him still here.

   " Five men, and one woman, huh? Well, six men including myself. Still, I'm grateful to see that there's as many as five of you willing to risk your lives to face evil. " Mr. Yagami said over his folded hands.

   " The fact that you've chosen to stay means you have a strong sense of justice. I trust all of you. " L said from the computer.

   " Huh? Hol-Hold on a second. " One of the men said, stuttering over his words.

   ' His name is Aizawa. . .I think. I'm never good with names. '

   " L just said that he's decided to trust us now. But honestly, what reason do we have to trust him? "

   " Look, L, all of us have agreed to put our lives at risk to bring Kira to justice. So, I hope you understand what this means. We're really sticking our necks out here. " Hideki said.

   " But you never have to show your face, do you? You just give the orders. I don't see how you can expect us to work alongside you under those conditions. "

   " He has a point. " You mumbled.

Though you didn't like the tones they were using, you could understand why they spoke out as they did. And some of it was true. The seven of you were sticking your necks out into the open, revealing your faces in public along with your badge while L never had to. You especially felt revealed to the world because you were a student. Your name was already in the school system for anyone to hack into and get. You were an easy target, but everyone else still had a chance to save their necks. 

   ' All in all, Hideki and Aizawa had a point, if they have to show their faces in public it's not fair of L to stay behind that computer screen. At least show us something. '

All was quiet in the room, and everyone was focused on the laptop to hear L's response. Matsuda stood behind you, feeling the most comfortable near you.

   " L. If all of us are going to work together on this investigation, and if you truly meant what you said about trusting the seven of us, could you come here, so we can all meet in person? " Mr. Yagami asked.

   " The thought had already crossed my mind. After all, I did say that I trusted all of you. "

Watari then grabbed the sides of the computer and turned the screen around to face us, I only had one thought as he turned it around.

   ' This can't be done through a screen. I feel like Watari is going to turn it around and reveal a facetime or skype call. We need to be in person if this is going to continue. '

When the screen was fully turned around, you could see a word document open. L had typed a message on the screen, still typing another half of the message.

Please, keep what is about to happen a secret between the nine of us. I would like to meet the seven of you whom I trust as soon as possible. Before that, I want you all to go outside of the police building and decide once more if you trust me or not. 

After another minute, the message disappeared, and Watari started to give us instructions on what to do and where to go. He didn't repeat it twice and left the room. Everyone gathered their things and left as well. You walked with the group to the elevator and through the front doors to the building. It was late, and no one else was inside the building, so once your group left, the building became unoccupied.

   " Why is he seeking our help now? There are only seven of us. He solved all of these difficult cases by himself in the past. So, what makes this one so different? The way L's been conducting things so far, odds are he's gonna send a stand-in or a proxy of some kind to meet us, instead of coming himself. It's not like we'd ever know. "

   " Hideki you know most of what you said is wrong. You know what's different between this case and all of the other ones he's solved along with the ones we have solved here in Japan. The murderer has a way of killing with only a face and a name, this has never been done before. He's going to show us who he is because he's serious, and he needs people who can go out in public. " You said, looking at Ukita.

   " Yeah, but how can we trust him? We've always seen him through a screen? As a matter of fact how can we trust you? "

   " What are you saying? Do you think I'm Kira? "

   " You fit the criteria. It's not like we know what you've been doing on your day off or when you go home. "

   " Yet, out of all of those people who decided to stay and help with the investigation. For your information Hideki, I am at a more disadvantage than you because I'm in school. Someone could easily hack into the school system and get my information, or they could even be one of the students but who am I to know? I also have to go to school and I've decided to put the rest of my time in this investigation. So, if you think I'm Kira then you are far from knowing the truth of the real Kira out there. I trust L, because he's been upfront about everything. "

   " Well, If we're working with that guy and you, I'm leaving the task force. I can't trust either of you. "

Hideki Ide started walking away, but before he did, he spoke to us.

   " And don't worry about me. I won't try to follow you I'm not interested in finding L. "

   " Well, I think we can trust L and Y/n. So I'm willing to cooperate on this investigation. " Ukita said, giving me a small smile.

   " Count me in. " Aizawa said, stepping beside me.

   " And don't worry, kid. We've got your back. " He continued as he looked down at me.

   " Thank you. At least I know you guys are trustworthy. " You said to them.

Mr. Yagami split up the six members into teams of three and told us what times to leave our respective homes so we could stagger our arrival at the hotel thirty minutes apart. That way, we could follow L's instructions exactly. You were paired with Matsuda and Mr. Yagami. Since it was so late, you all went to get a light snack before heading to the hotel. The taxi stopped and let us out at the hotel. We walked to the elevator inside the hotel, and I checked my watch as we waited in the elevator. It was almost midnight, just like L wanted. The elevator dinged, and the doors opened, allowing us to get out. Mr. Yagami and Matsuda got out with you following them. Your eyes trailed along the doors to find the one L had specifically told you to go to. Your eyes found the door, and you walked right to it, knocking on the door.

   " It's unlocked, please let yourselves in. " 

   ' That's L. '

Mr. Yagami reached for the door handle and turned it, pushing the door open. You could see the heads of Mogi, Ukita, and Aizawa already in the room waiting for your group. Since you were the last person to enter the room, you shut the door and locked it. 

   ' We're about to meet L. The world's greatest detective, the man who's been behind the phone calls, and investigations. The man who proved he was real to Kira and revealed the killer's location in only a matter of minutes. '

You turned around, ready to face the man who had been behind the screen.