Chapter 5

Their second year at Hogwarts was a lot more fun.

The first thing they did was try out for Quidditch and their Captain, Olivier Wood, who Leona automatically liked as he didn't hold any animosity towards her because of who her father was.

He was a fourth-year and had them attempt every position before he'd post his final choice in the Gryffindor common room.

Leona and the twins felt that they did quite well, mainly at Chaser and Beater for the twins and Chaser and Keeper for Leona. They were all rubbish Seekers that was for sure. It was damn near impossible to find that little snitch.

And all three of them were riddled with nerves and anxiety the day the team was supposed to be announced, all of them barely able to focus in class.

And the second dinner was over, and Dumbledore announced that they could leave the hall as he knew most of them were eager to see the results for all houses as the teams were decided that night, half the hall ran to their common rooms.

That night the trio snuck into Honeydukes and nabbed a bunch of goodies, Leona leaving a couple Galleons on the counter before returning to the twins' dormitory and celebrating. They'd found a way around the charms that kept the opposite gender out of the respective dormitories in their first year.

The twins had made Beaters and Leona a Chaser along with Angelina Johnson and their first training session was in three days' time, their first game in two weeks.

The training that occurred three times a week for two hours a night was brutal, but so much fun. Leona, Angelina and the third Chaser, Alicia Spinnet, found out that they worked very well together, Wood very happy with the progress they'd made after only a single session. Their Seeker was a seventh year who was a fairly decent player but didn't have the natural talent that most of the others possessed, Wood hoped for better talent next year but their seeker would do for now.

And the celebratory party Wood threw when they won their first game was something the trio would never forget.

They breezed through exam season, History of Magic, Transfiguration, Herbology a little tough, Potions for the twins being the worst, but they scored fairly decently, Leona surprising herself when she scored the highest in Potions and Charms for their year level.

And once exams were over, their next focus was scoring the Quidditch cup.

Oliver had pushed them harder than he ever had before, with Leona and the twins returning to their dorms, battered, bruised and beyond tired, but they'd never had more fun. Oliver, however, had learned something from watching them practice.

He had learned that no matter what state the twins were in, they always stopped the Bludgers from hitting her, or attempted to, there were very few times when one managed to sneak past them. Which was why he had Leona handling the Quaffle for most of the game.

And then came the game, Gryffindor versus Slytherin.

A game where Slytherin caught the snitch.

But a game that Gryffindor won.

They won because in the seconds before the snitch was caught, Leona managed to grab the Quaffle, her path semi-cleared by her fellow chasers as she dodged the last one and shot the ball into the hoop. But not only did she score the winning hoop, she did it by standing on her broom as she flew through the air.

A skill that would become her signature in years to come. Black Broomsurfing, they called it. And so far, none had been able to replicate the move for longer than a few seconds in an actual game, except for Leona.

She didn't know how she did it, or what compelled her to balance on her broom to catch the Quaffle, lest the Slytherins have it.

But it seemed instinctual as she bent her knees and spurred her broom further, wind whipping at her hair and Quaffle tucked under her arm before it soared through the circular goal.

They won by five points.

They won the Quidditch Cup.

And Leona Black, the daughter of Sirius Black, had never been more celebrated or accepted by her peers.

And after Oliver collected the trophy, Leona spent much of the night on the twins' shoulders as they hoisted her up and she thrust the shiny gold statue into the air, the common room covered in confetti and filled with cheers.

Molly and Arthur even wrote letters of congratulations to the three of them, the senior Weasley even getting the Daily Prophet to do an article on their win for the sports page, Leona and the twins, along with Oliver and the trophy in the picture for the entire Wizarding World to see.

That was a year to remember, and what they believed would go down as their best year at Hogwarts.

Or so they thought.