Chapter 122

It all made sense.

I open at the close.

The close of his life.

So as Harry's tongue touched the cold metal of the golden snitch, he watched in amazement as a panel slide down and opened to reveal a pure black stone.

"The resurrection stone," he muttered to himself as it floated in the air above his palm, the snitch being tucked away back into his pocket and his fist closed around it.

It was the longest breath that he could've inhaled because he was praying that it worked when he opened his eyes. And it did.

Because in front of him stood the four people he'd loved the most and had lost.

His parents, Sirius and Remus.

Lily reached out her arm and Harry didn't hesitate when he walked towards her, but his hand went straight through hers.

"You've been so brave, sweetheart," Lily said softly.

"Why are you here? All of you?" Harry asked.

"We never left," Lily replied with a small smile and Harry turned to Sirius.

"Does it – does it hurt? Dying?" he asked and there was nothing but sympathy in Sirius' eyes.

"Quicker than falling asleep," he assured the boy who looked a little less terrified.

"You're nearly there son," James spoke.

"I'm sorry. I never wanted any of you to die for me. Remus, your son – "

"Others will tell him what his mother and father died for. One day he'll understand," Remus said with complete conviction and Harry's gaze turned to Sirius.

"Rosalee."

Both Sirius and Remus inhaled sadly.

"She said hi, by the way," Harry added, and the two men couldn't help but smile.

"My daughter has been through more suffering than most could imagine," Sirius began. "But as it was when I gave her up almost 17 years ago, I believe she is in good hands with the Weasley's."

Harry could only nod before standing in the middle of the circle that his loved ones formed and looking at each of them.

"You'll stay with me?" he asked.

"Until the end," James promised.

"And he won't be able to see you?"

"No," Remus answered.

"We're in here, you see," Sirius added as he pointed at Harry's heart, similarly to what he'd done five years ago after escaping the castle.

"Stay close to me," Harry said, looking to his mother who gave a small nod of her head.

"Always."