Chapter 18

Leona and the twins were standing inside a crowded Flourish and Blotts as they looked through books, their mother standing in line to meet Gilderoy Lockhart, a wizard famous for great feats. The store was filled with witches in their best attire, hoping to woo the famed blond, who, personally, Leona found stuck up. She much preferred redheads.

"Bet you loved that, didn't you Potter?!" spat Draco Malfoy, a Slytherin boy in Harry's year who detested him after Harry refused his offer of friendship. And an example of why she didn't like blonds. "Famous Harry Potter! Can't even go into a bookstore without making the front page."

"Jealous, Malfoy?" Leona asked with a smirk, the boy glaring at her as Ginny stepped forward, anger in her eyes.

"Leave him alone," she ordered but he only laughed.

"Oh, look Potter! You've got yourself a girlfriend!"

A silver snake's head was then set down on Draco's shoulder and Leona swore she saw a hint of fear in his eyes as he was pushed to the side and a man with long platinum blond hair, an adult version of Draco, walked in.

"Now, now Draco, play nicely," he ordered before looking down at Harry, setting his cane topped with a snake's head on the floor. "Mr Potter, Lucius Malfoy," he introduced as he shook Harry's hand. "We meet at last. Forgive me," he said as he pulled Harry forward, using the snake's teeth on his cane to move Harry's hair out of the way, revealing his scar. "Your scar is legend, as of course is the wizard who gave it to you."

Harry pulled away from Lucius' hold, Fred holding back Leona who was ready to jump at him.

"Voldemort killed my parents. He was nothing more than a murderer."

Lucius' face seemed to fall before it grew colder.

"You must be very brave to mention his name, or very foolish."

"Fear of the name only increases fear of the thing itself," Leona spoke up, likely before Hermione could. She'd rather have Lucius at her throat than the young girls' as she was a muggle-born. Lucius and his absurd purity of blood beliefs couldn't sway her because she was already a pureblood.

"Well, well, Rosalee Black, is it?" he smirked as his eyes fell on her.

"It's Leona," she corrected, dropping her hand from Fred's as she moved her hair over her shoulder, eyes narrowed slightly.

"Your name as well, is legend. Not just because of your father but because of your Quidditch skills. Surfing on a broom, who would have thought? You have talent. Hopefully, you won't squander it as your father did when he got himself thrown into Azkaban."

Knowing what was in the letter her father left her, the twins held Leona back, the girl having gone for her wand before she'd been about to tackle him.

But her gaze was fire as anger filled her veins and the lights flickered as piles of books began to crash to the floor.

"Lena," Fred whispered in her ear. "Don't give it to the git Lena. Don't let him make you mad. He wins otherwise. Don't give it to him."

And Leona allowed Fred to pull her into his arms, George hesitantly letting go as she let Fred's touch drain the anger from her.

"Let me see, red hair, vacant expressions," he pulled a book out of Ginny's cauldron that was on her arm. "Tatty, second-hand book. You must be the Weasley's."

Before Leona could defend them and fire back an insult, Arthur appeared, George having waved him over discreetly from where he'd been talking to Hermione's parents.

"Children, it's mad in here. Let's go outside."

"Well, well, well, Weasley Senior," Lucius said and Arthur looked up at him, an unimpressed expression on his face.

"Lucius," he greeted back curtly.

"Busy times at the Ministry, Arthur, all those extra raids. I do hope they're paying you overtime. But by the looks of this, I'd say not."

"Yet, they can get better marks than your son can with a brand-new book. The information's all the same," Leona voiced, Lucius glaring from her to Draco before looking back at Arthur.

"What use is it being a disgrace to the name of wizard if they don't even pay you well for it?" he asked Arthur, who had his arm around Ginny.

"We have a very different idea about what disgraces the name of wizard, Malfoy," Arthur retorted.

"Clearly. Associating with muggles..."

Lucius took a threatening step forward as he slid Ginny's book back into her cauldron, standing even closer to Arthur.

"And I thought your family could sink no lower. I'll see you at work."

And with that Lucius left.

"See you at school," Draco shot venomously at Harry before leaving and Arthur turned to Leona.

"Lena, are you alright?"

She only crashed into him in a hug.

"He shouldn't get to insult both my fathers and walk away."

Arthur hugged her back as he pressed a kiss to her brunette locks.

"People like him will always get what's coming to them. That's a promise," he said as he pulled away, brushing the girl's hair off her shoulder as she inhaled deeply and nodded.

"Come on. Ice cream, on me," she said with a smile, and they all cheered as they walked out before Hermione stopped Leona.

"You cut me off so Lucius would yell at you, didn't you?"

Leona's grin was a little wicked.

"I'm a pureblood. He can't hit me with his ridiculous beliefs. And I'd rather have him insult me than you. Because you, Hermione Granger, are going to be the one that changes the Wizarding world for the better. And I don't need to take Divination to know that."

Hermione's smile was grateful as the older girl pulled her into a hug.

"Come on. Let's go get some ice cream."