Chapter 14: Arabella Fig

Y/n Pov:

"Please describe the attack" Amelia Bones asked Arabella Fig, the witness. She had escorted us home the night the dementors attacked. "What did they look like?" Amelia Bones asked.

"Well, one of them was very large, the other rather skinny, and one girl" Arabella replied. "Not the children, the dementors" The minister said. "All right, all right, well um, big, cloaked, then everything went cold as though all the happiness had gone from the world" she replied.

"Now look here, dementors don't just wander into a muggle suburb and happen across a wizard, the odds of that are astronomical" The minister said looking as if he was about to burst into laughter.

"I don't think anyone would believe that dementors were there by coincidence minister" Professor Dumbledore replied.

"Uh hem" a high pitched voice, with a pink collar  said. "I'm sure I must have misunderstood you professor, Dementors are after all under the control of the ministry of magic" she continued

It's so silly of me, but it sounded for a moment as though you were suggesting that the ministry had ordered the attack on this boy" she added.

"That would be disturbing indeed madam undersecretary which why I'm sure the ministry would be mounting a full-scale inquiry as to why the dementors were so far from Azkaban and why they mounted an attack without authorization"

"Of course there is someone, who might be behind the attack" he added. "Cornelius, I implore you to see reason. The evidence the dark lord has returned is incontrovertible"

"He's not back" the minister choked out, fighting the will to believe what Dumbledore had said.  Professor Dumbledore sighed and walked away.

"In the matter of Harry Potter and Y/n Black, the law clearly states that magic may be used before muggles in life-threatening situations. Laws can be changed if necessary Dumbledore" The minster stated.

"Clearly it's become practice to hold a full criminal trial to deal with a simple matter of underage magic" Professor Dumbledore replied.

"Those in favour of conviction" Amelia Bones asked. Few raised their hands, including the minister and pink-collared lady.

"Those in favour of clearing the accused of all charges" Amelia Bones asked. Almost all raised their hands. Maybe the ministry wasn't so corrupt after all. 

"Cleared of all charges" The minister said banging his gavel.

"Professor" Harry called out as Professor Dumbledore walked by. He didn't respond and kept walking.

Harry looked upset.

"Court is not adjourned yet" The minister said as soon as Professor Dumbledore walked out. "The matter of Y/n Black's dark magic is to be discussed" he added.

"It is at ten O'clock if I'm not wrong" I replied. "It has been changed, court orders" The minister said.

"Harry Potter is to wait outside" he added. "I'm staying with her" Harry replied. "Ministers orders" Pink-collared lady spoke. "Don't worry, I'll see you soon" I whispered to Harry. He glanced at me unsure before leaving.

"Y/n Black, resident of Ripley, Harrogate, Yorkshire" The minster stated. "She has been found to have Black Magic, and has used it in many situations"

"Black magic is banned without license, and the use of it outside a controlled environment. The charges are as follows; Two years in Azkaban and immediate expulsion from school"

"What?!" I exclaimed. "I was born with black magic" I added. "A very good excuse I must say" The minister replied.

"But the law 7:11 of the magic law book clearly states that Black Magic users are prohibited from using black magic without an applied license from the ministry of magic, or below the age of 17 outside a controlled environment , to prevent the harm of muggles or fellow witches and wizards" he added.

"The law book also states that children below the age of 17 are not allowed to be admitted in Azkaban for more than a year other than in case of murder or torture of Wizards, witches or muggles" I replied.

"She is right" Amelia Bones said. "The law for Black magic ban was updated in 1982, to the use of Black magic outside controlled premises and without license results in a reduced sentence of fifty percent if the witch or wizard used it in life threatening situations" I explained.

Murmurs arose from the jury again. "This now means six months. Another law, which is often forgotten still stands. A law from before 1980, when Voldemort came to power" I said.

Some flinched at the mention of his name. "Any Black magic user, that has information regarding Voldemort that gives the ministry an advantage or allows the ministry to save lives is given a reduced sentence to 10 days, no matter how long the original sentence is . This law remains unchanged, even after Voldemort was stopped" I stated.

"He isn't back, so the last law you stated will not apply" The minister replied. "I do have information, on his death eaters. An attack planned on Beaxbatons, school for esteemed witches." I said.

"And when is this attack?" Amelia Bones asked. "A reduced sentence will be given if the time and date are shared" She added. "August 15, 1995 at seven in the evening" I replied.

The minister eyes widened. "Increase security at the school" he said to someone beside him. "If what the defense says is true, then a reduced sentence of 10 days will be provided, until then the charges remain as 182 days in Azkaban and expulsion from Hogwarts" The minster stated.

"I have one more law to state" I said. "For expulsions from school, a vote must be taken, according to law" I added.

"Yes, a vote" the minister replied. "Those in favour of expulsion?" Amelia Bones asked. The same few as before raised their hands. "Those against expulsion?" She asked. The rest raised their hands.

"Very well, looks like you know your laws miss Black. The guards shall escort you to Azkaban, and you shall remain in Hogwarts school of witchcraft and wizardry" The minster replied banging his gavel.