Chapter 67: Potions with Professor Slughorn

Y/n Pov:

"Why is it that you are here instead of class?" Professor Mcgonagal asked. "We had lunch just now professor, must have lost track of time. And Y/n just came back" Harry replied. "Y/n can sit here if she likes, I have no objection but the two of you better be in class instead of loitering around" Professor Mcgonagal stated. 

"I'll come too" I said as Harry and Ron got down from the ledge they were on. "What class is going on now?" Ron asked. "Potions with professor Slughorn" I replied. 

We entered the room as a dozen eyes trailed my every step. "Ah Harry and Y/n, was beginning to worry. You brought someone with us I see" Professor Slughorn said looking at Ron.

"Ron Weasley sir" Ron replied. "but I'm dead awful at potions. A menace actually so I'm probably just gonna-" "Nonsense we're going to sort you out. Any friend of Y/n and Harry's is a friend of mine. Get your books out." Professor Slughorn interrupted. 

"Sorry sir I actually haven't got my book. Nor has Y/n or Ron" Harry said. "Don't worry, get what you want from the cupboard" Professor Slughorn replied. 

"I'll share your book" I whispered to Harry before walking away. 

I could see Draco looking at me from the corner of my eye. I stood next to Pansy listening to Mione list the potions in front of us.

"This is Armortentia. The most powerful love potion in the world. It's rumoured to smell differently to each person, according to what attracts them. For example I smell... freshly mown grass and new parchment and spearmint tooth paste" Mione said. Her attraction to Ron could not be more obvious for me. 

I smelt green apples. Not the sour ones, but the ones that are the sweetest. I smelt burning applewood and fresh lavender pickings. 

"Now armortentia doesn't create actual love. That would be impossible. But it does create a powerful infatuation or obsession" Professor Slughorn explained.

A few of  the  girl including Pansy walked towards the brewing potion. 

"And for that reason it is probably the most dangerous potion in this room" he added as he closed the pot with a lid.

"Professor" I called. "Yes Y/n?" he asked. "I couldn't smell anything when the lid was open. What might that mean?" I asked. "Are you sure Y/n? Why don't you smell it once again." he replied removing the lid.

I stood next to the pot as the scent of apples filled me. "Nothing Professor. Nothing at all" I replied. "Nothing at all?" Draco asked. "Why would I smell anything?" I asked. He looked back into his book. "One possible explanation is no one appeals to you at this point of time. " Professor Slughorn explained. "Possibly" I replied shrugging.

"Sir, you haven't told us what's in that one" Katie bell said. "Ah yes. What you see before you ladies and gentlemen.... is a curious little potion known as Felix felicis." Professor Slughorn said as he brought he vial close to us.

"More commonly known as liquid luck" I stated. "Yes miss Black. Liquid luck. Desperately tricky to make, disastrous should you get it wrong. One sip and you will find all your endeavours succeed. At least until the effects wear off." he said.

"So, this is what I offer each of you today. One tiny vial of liquid luck to the student in the hour who remains, manages to brew an acceptable Draught of living dead. Recipes for which can be found on page ten of your books. I should point out however, only one student who manages to brew a potion of sufficient quality to claim this prize. Nevertheless, good luck to you all" he added.

I've made the potion a few times before with Tom. 

"The Draught of the living dead is hard enough, but I believe an advanced student in my class has already done it, as told to me by professor Dumbledore. Y/n, I have a more advanced task for you. Shall you succeed, the benefits are for you to reap" Professor Slughorn said.  "And anyone can try if they would like too" he added. No one said anything.

"What task?" I asked. "Brew your own Felix felicis" the professor replied. "I have the recipe here" he added. "I'll give my classmates a fair chance, I'm up for the challenge" I replied. "Splendid! I've set up a cauldron over there in the event you would say yes. Follow me" he said leading me to the table with Draco. 

"Here professor?" I asked. "I presume there's no problem?" he asked. "Well...It is fine. Thank you professor" I replied. He nodded and walked away.

I could see Harry, Ron and Pansy looking at me with pity every once in a while. I smiled in response every time I caught their eye. Everyone was having trouble with the potion, except for, surprisingly, Harry.

He seemed to be doing it effortlessly. Maybe he grew an intelligent brain over the months, one that accommodated to the topic of potions or the change of teachers was inspiring him. My brother is usually the one who somehow ends up with the worst potions in the grade. 

"Could you pass me that Powdered Root of Asphodel?" Draco asked. "But do you trust me enough to pass it to you? Or do you think I'll keep that away as well because I want to keep you safe?" I asked. 

"Would you just pass it to me?" he asked. "I may not be caring enough to do that" I replied. He rolled his eyes and walked around me. Professor Slughorn began to come around to check on our potions.

"That is perfect!" he exclaimed after examining Harry's potion. I clapped for him the loudest when everyone did. A happy moment after hours of gloom. 

Professor Slughorn came around my table. "Something's missing in it Mr Malfoy" Professor Slughorn told Draco. "Y/n would you tell us what's missing in this?" the professor asked. "Sure professor" I replied. A few whiffs and I knew what it was.

"He's forgotten the moondew sir" I said. Draco let out a sigh of annoyance. "Your reputation is not following you Mr Malfoy. I would suggest paying more attention to the potion" Professor Slughorn replied.

He then turned to my cauldron. A few sniffs and a very close inspection later he looked at me wide-eyed. "Have you made this potion before?" he asked me. "No sir" I replied. "Marvellous, absolutely marvellous" he stated. 

"As promised, you may keep how much ever of the Felix felicis as you would like" he added. "One vial will suffice sir" I replied. He smiled before turning to the rest of the class, who has gathered at the front of the classroom.

As promised, professor Slughorn handed the vial or Felix felicis to Harry.