Chapter 19: Promise

Y/n Pov:

"Draco" I said tapping on his shoulder. He seemed glum, staring into his bowl of soup. He was deep in thought. "Is the soup that interesting?" I asked. "Oh I'm sorry, I was thinking about something" he replied.

"It's not an issue. I just came to say that I was sorry for coming down so harsh on you" I said. "No darling, I'm sorry for the way I was acting. I was an arse" he replied. "Forgive me?" he asked. I nodded.

"So the surprise" I said. "Yes of course" he replied putting his hand into his pocket to pull out a black box. "What's this?" I asked as he held my hand. "Your father gave this to me, said he gave it to your mum when they were the same age" he replied opening the box. Inside was an exquisite and beautiful ring, two pieces.

"It's a promise ring" he explained. "It's beautiful Draco" I replied. James dad must have given it to mum. "I love it" I added, causing him to smile. "The main ring was your mothers. The other one, I bought it for you" he said.

"I love you darling, I don't know what I'd do if I lost you" he added putting the ring on my finger. "I love you too Draco, and good news as I'm not planning to go anywhere anytime soon" I replied smiling.

"I promise to take care of you, even when you don't want me to" he said. "I promise to protect you and take care of you as well" I replied smiling.

Pansy was even more happier than I was when she saw the ring. I felt bad for her, Blaise stopped talking to her after the Yule ball. Mione was happy for me too, unlike Ron, who didn't see the point in these rings when I showed them the next day.

"Bloody hell. Instead of promise rings, they could just get married already" Ron said. "That's not how it works Ron, the ring signifies Y/n and Draco's love, and promises to be together, marriage is different" Mione replied. "Hermione's right Ron" Harry added.

"I will never understand any of this" Ron replied. "Well I'm leaving, have fun educating him Mione" I said chuckling. "Where are you going?" Harry asked. "I'm going to the Hufflepuff common room with Nev, they're having a memorial for Cedric" I replied.

"You want me to come with you?" Harry asked. I shook my head no.

"Is it hard?" Nev asked as we walked to the Hufflepuff common room. "What's hard Nev?" I asked. "To be the last person to talk and see Cedric?" he asked. "It's confusing at most. I guess I would never understand Voldemort's intentions for killing Cedric. It just shows how vile he is" I replied.  He seemed satisfied with my answer and we walked into the common room.

A painting of Cedric lie in the common room, some tearing up over it. It's fault they're like this, my fault that he's gone. I placed the flowers I got from the greenhouse next to the painting and spotted Cho, lighting a candle.

"Hey Cho" I said kneeling down next to her. "Oh Y/n" she replied wiping away a tear. "Just a few months ago he was stoked to be in the Triwizard competition" she said sighing. "If I would have known it would cost him his life I could have stopped him" she added before beginning to sob.

I put an arm around her comfortingly. "You know, it's because of you I got to know Cedric that way, and I thank you for that" she said. "Don't thank me, it's because of me he's gone" I replied. "You did nothing Y/n" she said.

"He will be avenged" I replied. "I promise" I added.