Chapter 53: Obliviate

Draco Pov:

I have to get my hands on that book somehow. A simple switching spell should do the trick. Father will be pleased once he knows about Y/n. Mother doesn't question her status or her wealth, unlike father who wants to know about her.

Y/n's astronomy textbook laid on my bed, and it gave me the perfect opportunity to switch the books. With astronomy today, she wouldn't suspect anything. Hopefully she won't find out about it before I switch the books back. 

Y/n Pov:

Astronomy. A fascinating topic and subject, unlike Divination.

"Divination is a a loony and loopy subject. Don't know why anyone would ever take it" Mione said as she accompanied me to exam hall. "I had a few reasons when I joined, which is no more since professor Trewalney was sacked" I replied sighing.

"What were the reasons?" she asked. "The prophecy Mione. Not many know what it truly says, and I wanted to know. Secondly, she had good seer skills, I wanted her to look into my future, to see if it's as dark as I think it will be" I replied. 

"Maybe her leaving is good. Allows you to hope for better times, and a great future. But don't think about that right now. Divination awaits. Good luck" she responded. "Although you probably won't need it'' she added. I smiled in response and walked into the examination hall.

That's the last of Divination I would see for a while, hopefully. 

"Hello love" Draco said walking up to me, engulfing me in a random hug. "I'll see you around" he said walking away before I could say anything. Weird.

"Mrs Black?" I whispered into my bag. No annoyed response. "Mrs Black?" I whisper-yelled. No response again. I opened up my bag to check for her journal. I couldn't find it. "I was sure I put it in this morning" I said to myself.

I emptied my bag, rummaging through my divination books, astronomy textbook and notebooks. Wait a minute, astronomy textbook? I had lent it to Blaise for some revision. 

"Blaise?" I called out walking into the boys dorm. "Yes Y/n?" he replied walking up to me from his desk. "Did you put my astronomy textbook into my bag?" I asked. "Pansy and you would kill me if I touched a woman's bag without permission. Draco would crucio me if I opened your bag, the same way I would if he touched Pansy's. It isn't worth the risk" he replied.

I chuckled in response. "Besides I left it on Draco bed, he said he'll return it to you" he replied. "He's in the astronomy tower if you were wondering" he added. "Thank you, get back to what you were doing" I stated.

The book was obviously transferred to my bag through a switching spell. So could Draco have taken Mrs Black's journal? I wasn't very careful whenever I talked to her. 

"I knew you'd come eventually" Draco said as I walked into the tower. "You took her didn't you" I stated. "Overheard me talking about something like where I'm from"  I added. "I had to take it, I needed to know" he replied.

"And what have you learnt?" I asked. "Everything, about you that is and was. From Colin Cedar Diggory to Y/n Lily Potter-Black" he replied. "Even about how you saved my mother" he added.

"And what is it, that lead you to this?" I asked. "The thought of my father finally accepting you." he replied. 

"Why is it you never trusted me? Whatever have I done to not know about you?" he asked. 

"I'd trust you with my life. But truths like this would put you in more danger than you realise. It could get you killed, or even worse, get the ones you love killed. Knowing this would put your parents in danger, your friends, everyone you love. I love you too much to let that happen to you. For you to feel the way I felt as I watched Cedric die before me, as I watched in confusion, anger, sadness and guilt when Myrtle died. I can't loose you either. It would break me" I replied.

"But my father would accept you if he knew more of who you were" he stated. "I'm not looking for your father's acceptance, and neither should you. You think your father as this high and mighty man, but in reality, he's darker than he seems" I replied.

"You'll have to forget all of this." I added stepping towards him. 

"You're scaring me Y/n" he said stepping back. "I promise it won't hurt" I stated. "Obliviate" I cast.

"What am I doing here?" he asked as soon as the spell hit him. "You were giving me back the book you accidently took" I replied.

"My memory's slightly foggy, must have banged my head somewhere" he stated.

A veil. Or the veil to be more precise. Mrs Black had said she saw something in her sleep. Could possibly mean something.

"The veil is said to represent many things, how am I supposed to decrypt your vision?" I asked Mrs Black. "I told you what I know" she replied. 

"You should take a step back from all this" she added. "Is this another encrypted clue?" I asked. "No, I actually mean it. You're more like an old woman, trying to save all her kids. But in truth, you are a child. Maybe you should act like one. I overheard you talking to some people earlier, about a visit to Hogwarts. Something naughty, surely. Be a fifteen year old" she said.

"And why would I take advice from a woman who I can't trust?" I asked. "I may have told your lover about you, but it was what I thought was best for you" she replied.

"And since when do you care about me?" I asked. "Since I realised you're so much like Regulus. Always putting the people you care about before you, always being the hero, always trying to hide who they are beneath, whether it's for good or bad. He's been like that since he was a child. Always being a grown up, always protecting Sirius" she replied.

"And we know how that ended up. He's dead, as dead as a rock. Be a child, worry about others later" she added. "I've got too much responsibility. Stop filling my head with bloody nonsense" I replied shutting the journal and shoving it into my bag.

What if she's right?

"Y/n?" I heard Harry call out my name. "Murmuring and shaking?" I asked waking up. "And a bit of a kick when I tried to wake you up" he replied. "Well, it's my body's way of defence" I stated shrugging. 

"You look tired" he pointed out. "I only fell asleep a few minutes before you came. What time is it?" I asked. "Seven" he replied. "What were you doing up?" he asked. "Researching about a gut feeling, designing something, and thinking about a mind wipe I performed" I replied.

"On Draco, he found out about everything" I added. "How?" he asked. "Isn't very important" I replied. 

"I should head on to Umbridge's office, I have a display to make" I said getting up.  "What do you-" "You'll understand eventually" I interrupted. 

"Professor Umbridge! Professor Umbridge!" I shouted in front of her office. "What is the meaning of the unnecessary noise?" She asked. "Catch!" I shouted, throwing a vial into her hands. She didn't catch it, just as I wanted, and the vial cracked. Within seconds it burst out an orange fluid, covering her from head to toe.

"Emurpent potion, diluted" I explained. "Detention!" she screamed. "But you have invigilation today, you have to monitor the history owl" I stated. "You will come with me, right after I clean up" she replied turning towards her office and walking in.

I chuckled a bit as Harry looked at me in confusion.