Chapter 87: Voice

Y/n Pov(1988):

1988:

"Y/n Black?" Matron called walking into my room. "What have I done know?" I asked. "There's someone here to see you. Probably to send you to the pound like they send em dogs" she replied giggling. I hate Matron. I want to punch her one of these days. 

I walked into the only good room in the orphanage, the guest room. It was the only room that they kept well with the money they got. A tall man with brownish hair stood in the room and he looked at me with teary eyes. 

"It really is you" he said smiling. "Who?" I asked. "Never you mind. I'm Remus Lupin" he replied. "Is that name supposed to mean something? I'm sure I have never heard of you" I stated crossing my arms. "Of course you don't know me. How could you? You were one when we last met" he said smiling.

"We've met?" I asked. He nodded in response. "I was one of your dad's best friends before, well, you know" he stated. "Before he got locked up?" I asked. "Indeed." he replied. "Why are you here now?" I asked. "I'm here to bring you with me" he said.  "To the pound?" I asked.

"No never. I'm here to take you to my house" he replied. "Why?" I asked. "To take care of you" he replied. "Why" I asked. "Maybe we could get out of here and I could explain it all to you?" he asked. I was overjoyed. I was leaving. But I didn't know if I could trust him.

"What do you actually want from me?" I asked. "Nothing at all. I promise" he replied. "Shall I pack my bags?" I asked. "Please do" he replied.

I was actually leaving.

I walked upstairs, looking at the place I had called home for years. At Tom's time everyone was so happy. Everyone hated everyone now. What if Remus Lupin hated me too? Was this all too good to be true? What if he was not like me? What if he thinks I'm a freak like everyone here? 

I said my goodbyes and we were off in a taxi.

We took a train to his house in Ripley in Yorkshire. He asked me many questions on the way there but wouldn't tell me about himself. I didn't answer much either, I didn't really trust him. I couldn't believe that he would ever care for me. 

His house was a charming cottage with the prettiest garden I had ever seen. Wool's never had any colour, it was always rather depressing there. 

"I have a room for you upstairs, it's not big but I hope it will do" Remus Lupin said smiling. "I have a room?!" I exclaimed running up the stairs. I always had to share in Wool's. "On the right side, the room on the left is for storage" he stated. 

I pushed the door open. Sunlight beamed through the gap in the curtain and shone onto a lovely bed. The room was quite beige, but had pretty flowers in vases everywhere. 

"Tell me your favourite flowers and I'll put them in the vase everyday" Remus Lupin said walking into the room. "I don't have one" I replied. "Well I'm sure something will be to your liking. Take your time in here. I'll be downstairs and then we can talk then about very important things. About who I am as you are probably wondering, and why you're here" he stated. "Alright" I replied. 

I walked downstairs and Remus Lupin was watching telly and I sat beside him.

"Do you know what witches and wizards are?" he asked. "A fable" I replied. Was he magic? Was he a normie?

"Not quite. They're real" he stated. "I know" I said. "Oh?" he asked. "I learnt about magic a while back from one of the kids in Wool." I replied. "So you know you're a witch?" he asked. I nodded. "Are you?" I asked. "Indeed" he replied. "I went to Hogwarts, with your dad and our best friend James and our friend Peter" he stated. "I was named your godfather and I've been searching for you for eight years" he explained. "Since Wool's was muggle-run, I had not thought to look there. I found out through one of my last hopes at the ministry of magic" he continued.

So someone cared for me. Someone looked for me all these years. Someone thought of me.

He then went on explaining about the order of the phoenix and the magic world and James Potter and Peter Pettigrew. He told me about how James Potter died because of.... Voldemort.

Tom? My Tom? He was evil back then but I had no idea what he became. Had I caused all that? 

Later that night I tried to sleep but my horrid nightmares kept waking me up. "Are you alright Y/n?!" he exclaimed as I screamed. "I will be" I replied. "What's wrong?" he asked. "I have nightmares of my dad being taken away. I've had them ever since I was a little babe" I replied. "We shall have to do something about that then" he stated. "I shall stay here if you're fine with it" he added. "Sure, if it comforts you" I said. "It would" he replied.

He stayed next to me all night on a chair, patting my head every time I woke up.

The next day he painted stars on my ceiling and made me a dozen tinctures to fall asleep, not that it did help greatly. I was grateful for him, not that I let him know verbally.

The days passed and I became closer to Remus Lupin. 

"Y/n I have to tell you something" he said a few weeks later. "There's something important that you need to know. Before that, trust that your parents would have never put you in harm's way. They trusted me wholeheartedly and I will keep you safe." He explained. "Alright" I replied.

"Have you heard of werewolves?" he asked. I nodded in response. "You're a werewolf aren't you?" I asked. He nodded. "How did-" "I've noticed your nervousness up to today. I knew you were hiding things from me and I began to suspect something was wrong or out of the blue. Your question confirmed my suspicion" I replied. 

"You really are the brightest child I have known" he said smiling. "Will you stay in your room tonight?" he asked. "I don't have much control over myself when I turn and I might do something horrid to you" he stated. "Alright" I replied. "Do not come down no matter what you hear or see. I would never let anything happen to you Y/n, I will always keep you safe. You are my priority always." He said.

I hugged him in response. "I shall not come down." I stated pulling away. "Good" he said. "I will be locked up outside, do not worry. There's almost no chance of me harming you. I promise" he said. I nodded understanding.

This went on a few times until....

The door was ripped apart and he was in the house. I had to get out or face my end. I picked up Remus's wand and began to climb out of the window. I reached down, only to be greeted by him. 

"It's only me Remus Lupin, it's only me" I said as he looked at me. He growled at me and moved towards me. His eyes were full of anger and I couldn't recognise him. "Uncle Remus, it's me Y/n" I stated. He stopped growling for a second which was all I needed. I cast bombarda and ran into the shed. 

I wasn't scared of him. I didn't want to hurt him.  

I could feel my black magic surface. The pounding in my head began again. I closed my eyes. If he was to hurt me, let it be.

I heard a snore from outside. I walked out of the shed and found Remus Lupin on the floor. He was asleep. He must have got tired.

'You and I both know that's not true' I heard a voice say. Someone was in my head. And it wasn't Nagini this time. 

'If you're wondering about who I am, don't. You know me all too well. I am a part of you and always have been. I have always helped you and I'm tired of being seen as the villain' The voice continued. It was familiar, like the voices in my head. But it wasn't there before.

"Who are you?" I asked. 'Think my dear Y/n, think. Who's been with you this whole time? Who's always helped you and who's always going to be there for you?' It asked. It couldn't be. "I never thought of you as a another being" I stated. 'That's because I'm not. I'm just a part of you, a dark part but a part nonetheless' 

The voice in my head wasn't just a voice.